Baby having what you have (food)

I read in a baby magazine the other week that the latest evidence suggests that you shouldn't hold off introducing certain foods (eg strawberries) as it can actually make allergies more common.

We've given them our food from 6 months onward. They had Xmas Dinner for instance when they were just over 6 months old - Yorkshire pud, gravy the lot!

I've avoided honey for the infant botulism thing.

We don't really have gravy as such but there are stock cubes in loads of recipes. I cook everything from scratch anyway so I never add salt and I count the stock cube as salt. My HV said not to worry about a bit of gravy anyway and they've been fine.

Mine eat all sorts of fish - Mackerel, pilchards, sardines, white fish but I haven't given them prawns or shellfish of any kind. I'm thinking of doing a paella next week so that'll be their first taste of prawns. They've eaten all kinds of meat including liver which they loved.

We don't eat chips so they haven't had any - I suppose they might have had one once but can't honestly think where! They eat plenty of cheese. Yes it is salty but it's good for the calcium and protein.

Jars, packet mixes and processed meats like sausages, bacon and ham probably have a lot more salt in them than you realise. Skip the packets and jars if you can and use the bacon and sausages sparingly.

Mine have had chilli and curry and have been fine so don't worry about herbs and spices. Just go easy. I wouldn't start with a vindaloo for example!

Mine have had eggs as omlettes and scrambled. They're not mad keen on them but they do go cold quickly and frankly I like mine a bit on the runny side rather than the leathery side which is how they come out fully cooked. They like an egg mayo sarnie though.

I said to my Aunt today about the gravy and she told me not to be silly :rofl: thats because I was looking for the baby sauces and ASDA have a big fat nothing like this!! I don't think we have gravy lots but on roasts and it was roast dinners I was thinking of to add something to potatoes veg and chicken.Maybe a little very watered down sine its not much we're talking anyway!

I bought a blender today so will see how I go!

Are oxos high in sugar? My Aunt told me to make me own gravy with an oxo cube but I'm assuming its as salty as granules? :blush:

Yeah oxos are salty. Just gravy granules stuck in a cube!

Why can hardly anyone find the baby sauces - loads near me..? Hm Reckon I should set up a business delivering them. :D

Oxo is high in salt too. There's some that are low salt I think.. but probably still quite high in salt - still better than normal ones though I guess. x

Bethanie has Bisto as we don't eat loads of it, but if she was 6 months I would use the baby sauces just to be on the safe side. These baby companies are raking in all our cash, grrr.

Bethanie eats lots of cheese too.

You can def worry too much! just go with the flow (within reason obviously).

Well Lauren I think I might just kick off at ASDA since they sell mums recipe pots! No thanks I want the sauce for my own!! Think its stupid that supermarkets appear to be only stocking a small variety of stuff!

I wouldn't mind spending on some baby suaces tbh if I freeze some dinners!

Thanks for oxo info I thought so but she looked at me daft on that too!

My grandparents/kind-of-inlaws are always looking at me daft when I say stuff about high salt, etc. They keep trying to feed Ryan custard/ice-cream/gravy/allsorts of stuff because it "never did their lot any harm". Kind-of-inlaws friend also suggested letting him have some wine whilst I was out of the room (I could hear them) :hissy: - I quickly got back in there. x

I wouldnt worry too much about the gravy thing once in a blue moon, a few weeks ago I was out shopping and needed to stop to eat, too far from home and Katie needed her lunch and she had mashed potato with gravy on it :) and she loved it. Its not an every day thing but the odd occasion wouldnt hurt.

Thanks

I'm going to email ASDA today and suggest they stock them anyway! Grrrr!

Its awful, theres hardly a place I know sells them apart from a supermarket miles away and when I go I buy the shop out :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->