Baby Led Weaning.

XKatX

Reaction score
Is anyone trying this method? I know Lisa is - anyone else? We started it 3 days ago and think I'm going to be needing a little support in the future!
We started the other day with some brocolli, mange tout and grapes and of course, it all went on the floor. Yesterday he had some banana - again, straight on the floor! Although he did get some up his arm and in his hair too! Then this morning, we tried apple, strawberry and grape. He seemed really interested in the apple and even tried to taste it. Of course, that just ended up being smeared across his cheek!
He has just turned 5 months, so we are starting early. I know it will be quite some time before it actually intentionally reaches his mouth, but I think this is going to be quite frustrating!!
Would anyone like to share their ecperiences?

Hebe played with stuff for a while but she's starting to eat bits now. She had some more tomato last night and she was definately eating it. She played for a good few weeks. Tezzy did BLW :D

Alasdair is baby led, and we started pre-6 months too. We did dabble with purees but tbh, he would have chosen to be baby led from the start if he'd had a choice I think!

I absolutely love it and can't recommend it enough. A really positive outcome for us is that I'm eating too. I am a rubbish eater but Alasdair learns so much by watching me. It's so amazing watching him eating shepards pie and lasagne and all sorts of things that some Mum's would frown upon because he might choke or something. Alasdair has only ever choked once, and that was because he was reclined in his pram and anyway, he was eating something that was designed as finger food (one of those organix carrot stix) but he's never actually choked on any adult food!

Yeah, I love it! I love that it takes the pressure off me, I love that he's getting to explore, I love that I don't know how much he's having so I never feel like he hasn't had enough lol! And it's so so easy too! And he enjoys it. Which is probably the most important thing.

As for it being frustrating, I found it suddenly just clicked with Alasdair and also, letting him eat with me has really really helped :)

I am, and I started at 5 months. :D She is now eating 2 -3 meals a day.

With pure BLW you skip the pureed stage altogether although foods can be offered on a spoon, but the baby is allowed to grab the spoon and the adult helps the baby guide it to the mouth.

Baby Led Weaning

Baby-led weaning (often also referred to as BLW) is a method of gradually weaning a baby from a milk diet onto solid foods. It allows a baby to control his or her solid food intake by self-feeding from the very beginning of the weaning process.
Infants are offered a range of foods to provide a balanced diet from around 6 months. They often begin by picking up and licking the food, before progressing to eating. Babies typically begin self feeding around 6 months, although some will reach for food as early as 5 months and some will wait until 7 or 8. The intention of this process is that it is tailored to suit each particular baby and their personal development. The 6 month guideline provided by the World Health Organisation is based on research indicating the internal digestive system matures over the period 4-6 months. It seems reasonable to posit that the gut matures in tandem with the baby's external faculties to self feed.
Initial self-feeding attempts often result in very little food ingested as the baby explores textures and tastes, but the baby will soon start to swallow and digest what is offered. Breastfeeding is continued in conjunction with weaning and milk is always offered before solids in the first 12 months.

General information

Baby-led weaning places the emphasis on exploring taste, texture, colour and smell as the baby sets their own pace for the meal, choosing which foods to concentrate on. Instead of the traditional method of spooning puréed food into the baby's mouth, the baby is presented with a plate of varied finger food from which to choose.
Contrary to popular belief there is no research supporting the introduction of solids by purees and in fact babies can become very confused when stage 2 foods are introduced (with lumps) unsure whether to swallow or chew (citation needed).
According to one theory, the baby will choose foods with the nutrients she might be slightly lacking, guided by taste (citation needed). The baby learns most effectively by watching and imitating others, and allowing her to eat the same food at the same time as the rest of the family contributes to a positive weaning experience. At six months babies learn to chew and grasp and this is therefore the ideal time to begin introducing finger food.
Self-feeding supports the child’s motor development on many vital areas, such as their hand-eye coordination and chewing. It encourages the child towards independence and often provides a stress-free alternative for meal times, for both the child and the parents. Some babies refuse to eat solids when offered with a spoon, but happily help themselves to finger food.
As recommended by the World Health Organization and several other health authorities across the world, there is no need to introduce solid food to a baby’s diet until after 6 months, and by then the child’s digestive system and her fine motor skills have developed enough to allow her to self-feed. Baby-led weaning takes advantage of the natural development stages of the child.

Signs of readiness

It is very important that baby-led weaning is not started before the child shows developmental signs indicating that she is ready to cope with solid foods. The baby should be able to sit well unsupported, be eager to participate in mealtime and maybe even trying to grab food and put it in her mouth. The child should show signs of developing a pincer grasp, as well as an ability and willingness to chew.

Safety

Many parents are used to the idea of giving babies puréed food and to some, giving such a young child finger food might sound dangerous. However, babies weaned using the baby-led method are actually less likely to choke on their food, as they are not capable of moving food from the front of the mouth to the back until they have learnt to chew. In turn, they do not learn to chew until they have learned to grasp objects and place them in their mouth. Therefore the baby's general development keeps pace with her ability to manage food.
If a child gets a piece of food too far back in their mouth, they will often promptly clear it themselves by gagging or coughing the piece out. According to Gill Rapleythis seems to be fairly common and not dangerous - it's simply nature's way of preventing any risk of choking.
Food should not be placed in the baby's mouth for him or her. If the baby is unable to pick up and grasp the food, it is believed that the baby will also be unable to cope with chewing and swallowing it. It is also very important that the baby is sitting up straight and well supported during mealtimes and never left unattended while self-feeding.

Basic principles

The basic principles of baby-led weaning are:

At the start of the process the baby is allowed to reject food, and it may be offered again at a later date.

The child is allowed to decide how much she wants to eat. No "fill-ups" are to be offered at the end of the meal with a spoon.

The meals should not be hurried.

Sips of water are offered with meals.

Initially, soft fruits and vegetables are given. Harder foods are lightly cooked to make them soft enough to chew on even with bare gums.

Food given is free of added salt and sugar.

Food is not cut into bite-sized pieces until the baby has mastered object permanence and the pincer grasp.

Initially, food is offered in baton-shaped pieces or in natural shapes that have a 'handle' (such as broccoli florets), so that the baby can get a good grip and the food is visible for babies that have not yet mastered object permanence.

Foods with clear danger, such as peanuts, are not offered.

Foods can be offered to the baby on a spoon, but the baby is allowed to grab the spoon and the adult helps the baby guide it to the mouth.

Resources

There is still very little, if any, information published on baby-led weaning. With the exception of the research done by Gill Rapley, most of the information available about the subject is passed on from parent to parent in the Internet parenting forums and blogs. In these, mothers interested in baby-led weaning offer each other peer support and share their knowledge and experiences. Gill Rapley has also produced a DVD training package on baby-led weaning with advice and testimonials from mothers who have tried the method.

we are kind of doing a mix. initially i wanted to do baby led but my daughters weight dropped quite a bit so i've had to start feeding her myself to make sure she's eating. i do however, let her do it herself if she wants to towards the end of the meal and she feeds herself bits of soft fruit/bread etc. it's so cute when she feeds herself it ends up everywhere tho!

I did BLW with my daughter who's now 10. I started when she was just over 6 months. Up until she was about a year she still had loads of breast feeds during the day as well and I'm sure got most of her nutrition from these rather than the solids. She loved finger foods and played a lot with everything I put in front of her. I never offered her food once she'd decided she'd had enough and she got the hang of hand to mouth pretty quickly. She loved pretty much everything and still has a really good relationship with food. She eats all vegetables and fruits and loves them. We've never had any battles at mealtimes and I'm so glad I went down the BLW route. It was messy though!

My new one is 6 weeks old and we're planning on doing BLW this time too.

Good luck.

It's definately very messy!!! We are going through 2 outfits a day each! :lol:

carrot's been the worst for us so far, banana comes a close second, it's difficult to get out of clothes!

Good luck with it, Kat. Sounds very interesting and appropriate too. I'm sure cavemen never had blenders!

Thanks for the responses guys! I'm going away after Easter now, so it will be interesting to see how this works in someone elses house! After dragging 3 of us up though, I'm sure they won't mind a bit of food flung on their floor!!!:rofl:

I hope it works for us - lots of very positive stories from you all so far. Keep them coming!!

im here if you want to ask any questions about BLW!!!

call me dumb... but how do you give rice cereal and other purees? The baby cant hold it?

call me dumb... but how do you give rice cereal and other purees? The baby cant hold it?

You don't give purees and no baby rice. There is no need for it, as they take food themselves. If they want cereal, then you give them the loaded spoon and when they are developed enough, they can put it in their mouths themselves. They learn surprisingly quickly - Oliver put some apple in his mouth this evening - we are only on day 3. The idea is that you totally cut out the need for purees and baby rice altogether.

Hebe holds and uses the spoon with the smooth stuff I give her. It's very messy but I only have to guide her. The solids she just does herself. :D

With pure BLW you skip the pureed stage altogether although foods can be offered on a spoon, but the baby is allowed to grab the spoon and the adult helps the baby guide it to the mouth.

Baby Led Weaning

Baby-led weaning (often also referred to as BLW) is a method of gradually weaning a baby from a milk diet onto solid foods. It allows a baby to control his or her solid food intake by self-feeding from the very beginning of the weaning process.
Infants are offered a range of foods to provide a balanced diet from around 6 months. They often begin by picking up and licking the food, before progressing to eating. Babies typically begin self feeding around 6 months, although some will reach for food as early as 5 months and some will wait until 7 or 8. The intention of this process is that it is tailored to suit each particular baby and their personal development. The 6 month guideline provided by the World Health Organisation is based on research indicating the internal digestive system matures over the period 4-6 months. It seems reasonable to posit that the gut matures in tandem with the baby's external faculties to self feed.
Initial self-feeding attempts often result in very little food ingested as the baby explores textures and tastes, but the baby will soon start to swallow and digest what is offered. Breastfeeding is continued in conjunction with weaning and milk is always offered before solids in the first 12 months.

General information

Baby-led weaning places the emphasis on exploring taste, texture, colour and smell as the baby sets their own pace for the meal, choosing which foods to concentrate on. Instead of the traditional method of spooning puréed food into the baby's mouth, the baby is presented with a plate of varied finger food from which to choose.
Contrary to popular belief there is no research supporting the introduction of solids by purees and in fact babies can become very confused when stage 2 foods are introduced (with lumps) unsure whether to swallow or chew (citation needed).
According to one theory, the baby will choose foods with the nutrients she might be slightly lacking, guided by taste (citation needed). The baby learns most effectively by watching and imitating others, and allowing her to eat the same food at the same time as the rest of the family contributes to a positive weaning experience. At six months babies learn to chew and grasp and this is therefore the ideal time to begin introducing finger food.
Self-feeding supports the child’s motor development on many vital areas, such as their hand-eye coordination and chewing. It encourages the child towards independence and often provides a stress-free alternative for meal times, for both the child and the parents. Some babies refuse to eat solids when offered with a spoon, but happily help themselves to finger food.
As recommended by the World Health Organization and several other health authorities across the world, there is no need to introduce solid food to a baby’s diet until after 6 months, and by then the child’s digestive system and her fine motor skills have developed enough to allow her to self-feed. Baby-led weaning takes advantage of the natural development stages of the child.

Signs of readiness

It is very important that baby-led weaning is not started before the child shows developmental signs indicating that she is ready to cope with solid foods. The baby should be able to sit well unsupported, be eager to participate in mealtime and maybe even trying to grab food and put it in her mouth. The child should show signs of developing a pincer grasp, as well as an ability and willingness to chew.

Safety

Many parents are used to the idea of giving babies puréed food and to some, giving such a young child finger food might sound dangerous. However, babies weaned using the baby-led method are actually less likely to choke on their food, as they are not capable of moving food from the front of the mouth to the back until they have learnt to chew. In turn, they do not learn to chew until they have learned to grasp objects and place them in their mouth. Therefore the baby's general development keeps pace with her ability to manage food.
If a child gets a piece of food too far back in their mouth, they will often promptly clear it themselves by gagging or coughing the piece out. According to Gill Rapleythis seems to be fairly common and not dangerous - it's simply nature's way of preventing any risk of choking.
Food should not be placed in the baby's mouth for him or her. If the baby is unable to pick up and grasp the food, it is believed that the baby will also be unable to cope with chewing and swallowing it. It is also very important that the baby is sitting up straight and well supported during mealtimes and never left unattended while self-feeding.

Basic principles

The basic principles of baby-led weaning are:

At the start of the process the baby is allowed to reject food, and it may be offered again at a later date.

The child is allowed to decide how much she wants to eat. No "fill-ups" are to be offered at the end of the meal with a spoon.

The meals should not be hurried.

Sips of water are offered with meals.

Initially, soft fruits and vegetables are given. Harder foods are lightly cooked to make them soft enough to chew on even with bare gums.

Food given is free of added salt and sugar.

Food is not cut into bite-sized pieces until the baby has mastered object permanence and the pincer grasp.

Initially, food is offered in baton-shaped pieces or in natural shapes that have a 'handle' (such as broccoli florets), so that the baby can get a good grip and the food is visible for babies that have not yet mastered object permanence.

Foods with clear danger, such as peanuts, are not offered.

Foods can be offered to the baby on a spoon, but the baby is allowed to grab the spoon and the adult helps the baby guide it to the mouth.

Resources

There is still very little, if any, information published on baby-led weaning. With the exception of the research done by Gill Rapley, most of the information available about the subject is passed on from parent to parent in the Internet parenting forums and blogs. In these, mothers interested in baby-led weaning offer each other peer support and share their knowledge and experiences. Gill Rapley has also produced a DVD training package on baby-led weaning with advice and testimonials from mothers who have tried the method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->