Baby middle name after grandmother

mrs sunflower

Reaction score
3 years ago when we were pregnant with DS, DH and I came up with a girl name that we loved - Sage Catherine (DH's mother's name is Catherine). We are now pregnant with a little girl and had been planning to use this name for her. However, at our gender reveal party we were joking about names with DH's father and asked if he had wanted us to name a boy after him and he reminded us that because he is Ashkenazi Jewish it would be like saying we didn't want him around (ie alive). I had forgotten about that custom! DH's mother is not Jewish and neither are we but having a living grandmother's name as a middle name may offend DH's father. My middle name was after my living grandmother and I loved having that connection. We weren't going to talk about the name at all before she was born but now we will bring it up with them. Do you think he/they will be offended?

I don't think he will be offended, probably only offended if you had given a son his middle name. He will understand that your beliefs and traditions are not the same as his but wouldn't appreciate his name for a son I think. Xx

If we have a girl, we will be giving her my MIL's name for a middle name, and I think she will be delighted that we want to honor her that way. I think your DH's father will understand that, but maybe you should ask him beforehand just to see if it will cause any problems.

We'll my little miss Is having my granny's name (she passed away 2 years to the day I conceived little miss ) and on her dads side his mum and gran and they are both alive lol xx

I didn't know about this custom, so it is hard to say- it depends on whether it goes just for him or if it is the same for any living relative being a namesake. I'd definitely ask and if he would be offended then perhaps a variant on the name Catherine would be OK? Catrin, Kathleen, Kitty etc?

I don't know much about this custom either but I would imagine he appreciates that you and dh have been brought up with different customs and therefore view things differently. I'm sure your mil would be delighted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->