Baby milk ads "should be banned"

Helen

ICSI Twins + miracle BFP
Reaction score
Talk about the nanny state! Anyone seen this today?

https://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6933188.stm?dynamic_vote=ON#vote_news_hys_babymilk77

Oh for heaven sake's!

How ridiculous!

xxx

I do agree with this though
It is unclear whether a ban is likely, but it is thought that companies will no longer be able to make claims about similarity to breast milk on their packets under new restrictions.
as formula is nothing like breastmilk therefore they should not be allowed to try to make women believe that it is, it's sneaky.

i agree with kina...

but as a bottle user (used to breastfeed) i feel more comfortable with the adverts staying as some people may feel guilty for using formula milk if they cannot breastfeed.

Most people would know formula is not as good as breast milk.

I bottle fed chloe and she has only had ONE cold in 7 years,no chicken pox nothing........she is also in top 3 in her year which is year 3 and is doing year 6 work so her IQ is majorly high.

I combi-feed Amelia and all she does is sleep so dunno.

I think it is right to take off the advertsing of it being closer to breast milk.

"baby milk be treated like tobacco"

ffs does baby milk kill our babies? im keeping schtum on this one as it pisses me off no end.

mwah x

Agree with that comment Kx ...

And TBH i have NO sence of guilt about not BF maddie .... SHE refused!

xxx

baby milk kills? what a load of bollox it is the Breastapo's starting all this off and being someone who has done both I am obviousley not siding with either.

Baby milk is nutricious and healthy and I wish the people who make these claims would fuck off and bug some other cause
bex

I imagine that the government are probably backing the removal of ads as bottle feeding costs the nhs thousands of pounds. I personally found formula to be inferior for us (note that I am saying for us, not trying to get any backs up!) after Ella went onto it fully at 10.5 months her excema flared up and she was constantly ill with coughs, colds etc. Alex has had top-ups probably 3-4 nights out of 7 for about 4-5 weeks (anything from 1-5oz) with formula and it really affects his tum, to the point where I am trying to cut it out completely.

I use both with ellie ...

Not had any problems ... apart from she looks to be intollerant, not the milks fault though!

xxx

Ads for first milk have been banned for a while now, I think 10 years so I am guessing this is the follow on milks (the link isn't working for me). I personally think that if the government want to increase the breastfeeding rates they need to put their momney where their mouth is. Formula manufacturers spend £6.25 for each baby born in the UK. The government spends 9p-16p per baby on breastfeeding promotion. The amount of times I read on a forum that someone thinks they are not producing enough milk and their HV suggests top ups with formula, or a Dr tells a breastfeeding mum to stop feeding as they have mastitis is sadly all too common.

The reason for the ban is mainly as it was meant to be leading to drops in breastffeidng rates, though I personally thinnk its due to the above and to society's view of breastfeeding and how babies should behave as opposed to pretty adverts. however I think that it does need to be very strictly regulated due to the practices in poorer countries. For example Nestle, google them and you can see what has happened. I also think the misleading "closer to breastmilk" should be banned too. If that was what they want to claim they should use horse milk which is actually closer to human milk then cows milk is.

Never knew that about horse milk Beanie!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->