Baby not eating enough to come off formula at 12 months

lilmissmup

Mummy to Maddie
Reaction score
My little girl is nearly 1 years old. We do BLW but she isn't really into food.

She is formula fed and loves her milk.

So I am worrying about transitioning her onto whole milk.

Has anyone else kept their baby on formula after 1 years as they didn't eat a lot? She still has about 4 bottles a day. I am considering just dropping 1 or 2 of her bottles to whole milk and keeping her on a bit of formula a day.

I am going to talk to a HV about this but just wondered if anyone else had a similar issue?

I can't see why you couldn't switch to whole milk, even if she's not eating much. From the perspective of fat and calories, they are roughly similar. The only difference is that formula has added vitamins and minerals. But it's recommended that all toddlers in the UK take a vitamin supplement anyway for the added vitamin D, so if you're giving that anyway, there's no benefit to also continuing to use formula. Certainly, do what feels right, but I wouldn't hesitate to move to milk, especially because it's much cheaper and use that savings to try new types of food that might interest her in eating more solids. Also, she's only 10 months still, and I would expect you'd see a huge change in the next couple months. We did BLW as well and it really wasn't until around 9-10 months that my daughter started to eat in any quantity. By a year, she could put away an entire adult sized portion of porridge plus a whole banana at breakfast! So I wouldn't necessarily worry too much about the amounts she eats yet, as it will likely change a lot in the next few months.

hey hun i had this problem with ds1. We were advised to put him on growing up milk (they need different things after one than they do before one so a growing up milk is suggested). just try giving her high calorie foods. i was told to put cheese in everything i could and avacado and lots of butter. I still have to try fatten everything up for him now as he has weight issues xx

I agree the amount of food they eat goes up dramatically between 10months and a year! You may be worrying about something that isn't even an issue when the time comes.

The other thing is to ensure she's not too full of milk to want to eat. What kind of gap is there between her milk and food times?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->