baby not gaining weight

poobear

Reaction score
im 28+2 and went for a scan yesterday. ive had to have extra scans as i have raised bmi, pcos and risk of diabetes.

baby was extremely active during scan and it was confirmed im having a baby boy.
after the scan i was called in for another as the sonographer got low measurements for baby - in particular the abdominal circumferance, femur length and weight estimation. none of them were on the line for the percentile thingy.
so she did another scan, and got even worse measurements. then i was called in again so another sonographer could take the measurements, which pretty much matched up to the first scan i had that day.

i was told my baby is not gaining weight as to be expected and instead of weighing 2.5 pound approx, he weighs 1lb 13oz which is only 5oz more than he weighed when i went for my 20week scan.

the sonographer spoke to the consultant who said due to the fact baby was VERY active, and the doppler test showed good blood flow, im not an urgent case to be seen by him, but i have an appointment for in 2 weeks time.

theyve told me not to worry, but its all im doing and cant stop looking it up on the net and keep reading about how low weight can lead to still birth!

i dont know why this has happened. ive never smoked. gave up drinking the day i found out i was pregnant. dont take drugs, not even medication. i eat well since getting pregnant.

cant stop worrying and i feel aweful that they have left me for two weeks not knowing whats going on or if baby is ok :(

also, i was told his abdomen is 45mm off the average size. his femur is 5mm off. head circumference 11mm off and weight is of by approx 190g.

*hugs* I'm sorry you are being put through this. I hope the next scan things are perfect for you. I think if it was a huge deal they would have told u " what to expect?" my heart goes out to you.

poobear just wondering, were you and your OH small babies? Sending lots of :hug: your way xx

I had the same thing happen in both of my pregnancies. Both my babies had severe IUGR. y 1st daughter though had a heart and brain defect too. My 2nd daughter didn't have any other defects but was stillborn at 32 weeks.

Good luck to you. I would get as much rest as possible ON YOUR LEFT SIDE! That can help increase blood flow which increases oxygen to the baby!

Wanted to add that my 1st was born at 28w3d weighing 380grams (13 ounces) and 10 inches long and my 2nd was born at 32w2d weighing 2 pounds 15 ounces and 16 inches long.

I had a similar thing happen. The reason my baby was small was because of a heart problem. BUT....I went to the doctor yesterday and he is now measuring the right size! Try not to panic too much. I know it is hard, but do your best!

Hello honey,
I have no experience of this (touch wood) but could you maybe try and insist they see you earlier??
I don't care what anyone says - you being worried and stresses is not good and you are bound to be (I couldn't cope with a 2week wait).
Try and insist - when it comes to your baby, nothing is more important. Good luck xxxx

Connor had severe IUGR, he was born weighing 4lb 8 at 38 weeks. I had growth scans every 2 weeks from 29 weeks and had a scan every tuesday and thursday from 29 weeks to check blood flow to connor and to check my waters and i had CTG's every tuesday and thursday aswell. If they think your not an urgent case then yes i know your going to worry but try not to panic to much as if they did think you needed seeing urgently they would have got you to see consultant that day or next day at latest. They will give you and LO all the care you need, if you need to you can always ring midwife and speak to her about it :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->