Baby Resuscitation

sam's mum

mum of two gorgeous boys
Reaction score
Hopefully nobody will ever need to use this but just thought one of these might be worth reading and printing out. Lots of places do free courses to teach parents how to resuscitate a child, but as much as you try to stay calm it's still easy to forget things in an emergency.

Infant Resuscitation for Parents

Baby Resuscitation

1) Baby looks strange - i.e. pale, blue, very still.
2) Take a deep breath, try to keep calm, approach safely. Pick baby up.
3) Try and wake baby - call, flick foot, tickle ribs, blow air onto face. DO NOT shake violently.
4) If unable to wake baby, SHOUT for help.
5) Put baby down on hard flat surface.

CHECK A - AIRWAY

Clean secretions from nose and mouth.
Gently tip head back until eyes facing straight up. Put finger on bony part of chin and lift chin.

CHECK B - BREATHING

Put your face next to baby
- Listen for breathing
- Feel for breath on your cheek
- Look for chest movement

1) If baby is breathing, turn on side and make sure ambulance has been called.
2) If after 10 seconds, no breathing, put your mouth over baby's mouth and nose. Keep the head tilted and chin lifted - blow gently until chest starts to rise take mouth away and repeat five times.
3) If baby starts to breathe turn on side and call ambulance.

CHECK C - CIRCULATION

1) If not breathing check for signs of circulation (skin colour change, movement) for 10 seconds.
2) If you see signs of circulation (pink lips and fingers) continue to breathe for baby - 20 breaths over a minute then recheck and continue.
3) If no circulation present (baby looks blue around lips and fingers) start chest compressions.
- Two fingers on breastbone just below nipple line.
- Alternate one breath to five chest compressions.

Only stop if you think baby is recovering, i.e:
- breathing and circulation (skin colour) returns to normal - then turn on side; or
- paramedics take over.

If you are on your own resuscitate for one minute i.e. 20 breaths or 1:5 x 20 times before stopping to dial 999.

it's so scary to think about needing to do this but it's really important to know. Thank you for posting it!

I was required to take a CPR class in highschool. And although I HAD to take both the adult and children sections, I only tested for the adult (because it was required). So, I'm not certified for child CPR.
However, I do generally know what to do if it happened.. although I dont know if I could without freaking out.

I was required to take a CPR class in highschool. And although I HAD to take both the adult and children sections, I only tested for the adult (because it was required). So, I'm not certified for child CPR.
However, I do generally know what to do if it happened.. although I dont know if I could without freaking out.

I think all schools should teach it. They didn't when I was at school but maybe they do here now...it's been a while since I was there :laugh2: x

My Mw had us take a baby and child CPR course before we had Bren.

I've been wanting to take a child first aid course, but no-one seems to offer them locally Thanks. This is very useful.

I think all schools should teach it. They didn't when I was at school but maybe they do here now...it's been a while since I was there :laugh2: x

LOL. I think my adult CPR is already expired :blush: So, I wouldn't really be able to perform it on someone (people here will sue you if you preform it wrong in any way and it doesn't save their family member! even if you tried, so if you arent certified to do it, it's often recommended to try and find someone who is!!!)
I know here they offer adult CPR classes down at our nursing home/rehab center. But I dont know about infant/child CPR.

Great thread sams mum, I was one of the few who actually had to resusitate my son :( he was about 8 weeks old and I never had taken any first aid training even though I had Joe 12 weeks early. It was the 999 lady who told me what to do step by step and it worked, and for that I will be grateful forever more:cloud9:

While my son was in hospital I learned how to do it again but they said I had already proven that I could do it.

Please learn how to do this because you never know when you may need it, maybe not your own child even.

Great thread sams mum, I was one of the few who actually had to resusitate my son :( he was about 8 weeks old and I never had taken any first aid training even though I had Joe 12 weeks early. It was the 999 lady who told me what to do step by step and it worked, and for that I will be grateful forever more:cloud9:

While my son was in hospital I learned how to do it again but they said I had already proven that I could do it.

Please learn how to do this because you never know when you may need it, maybe not your own child even.

:hugs: I can't imagine how terrifying that must have been x

LOL. I think my adult CPR is already expired So, I wouldn't really be able to perform it on someone (people here will sue you if you preform it wrong in any way and it doesn't save their family member! even if you tried, so if you arent certified to do it, it's often recommended to try and find someone who is!!!)
I know here they offer adult CPR classes down at our nursing home/rehab center. But I dont know about infant/child CPR.

I think that's terrible that some people are probably too afraid to use what they know in case they do something wrong. If it was my child or a member of my family I'd be so grateful to anyone who even tried to help :(

I'm surprised that nobody - all through my pregnancy, midwife appointments, clinics etc - has even suggested that it would be worth learning x

I think that's terrible that some people are probably too afraid to use what they know in case they do something wrong. If it was my child or a member of my family I'd be so grateful to anyone who even tried to help :(

I'm surprised that nobody - all through my pregnancy, midwife appointments, clinics etc - has even suggested that it would be worth learning x

Yeah, and even for things like how many compressions you do, etc! Our teacher warned us of this.
Like, when I first learned it it was 2 breaths, 20 compressions. Then (it's been almost 2yrs now.. but) the next time it was 2 breaths, 30 compressions.

thanks for that hun

i had full first aid training for work (was a nursery nurse) last year. apparently my baby cpr techique is good as is my backslapping when they choke xx

Oh thanks so much for posting this! I've been thinking about taking a course.
Mx

hey, good thinking to post this , its something you never know when your going to need ( hopefully never)

the guidelines have very recently changed - only for children....

its 15 compressions to 2 breaths. but anything will make a difference.

im a paediatric nurse in an accident and emergency so we do courses all the time xxxx

hey, good thinking to post this , its something you never know when your going to need ( hopefully never)

the guidelines have very recently changed - only for children....

its 15 compressions to 2 breaths. but anything will make a difference.

im a paediatric nurse in an accident and emergency so we do courses all the time xxxx

OK, sorry. And thank you...maybe you could post an updated link? The nhs one I posted said it's not due to be reviewed until July 2009 so I assumed it still applied.

Was going to edit my original post - do you mean 2 breaths then 15 chest compressions and alternate? x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->