Baby savings...how much?

toffee87

Reaction score
How much are you aiming to save for your baby? Will you be taking a year off maternity leave?

I'm going to take a years mat leave when I'm a teacher! Depending on how long I've worked, I'll get more money the longer I've worked but am entitled to 52 weeks, with the last 13 being unpaid.

How much are you aiming to save? Not sure how much we'll save, will be enough to keep us going for a year!

We have a few thousand and will continue to add to it - it isn't all for a baby, there is a wedding to fit in too!

I am very lucky with my job and earn well and get fantastic maternity package so will be able to take a full year off if I want to without too much difference to us. I then plan on going back 4 days a week as I work from home and OH will be around to look after bubs all going to plan.

xxx

I am a teacher too, but can only afford to take off 6 months. You only get SMP after 6 months which is £115 or something per week - there is no way we can live on that with my OH's wage :(

This is a good question.
At the mo the money i save is towards our deposit on a house which we plan to buy over the summer. After that we will have to get use to paying bills and mortage. I it wont be two bad as me and OH work full time. We would like to save for a baby, i imagine you can spend thousands on babys, depends what things you buy.
hhhmmm going to have to keep thinking maybe having at least 2000 in the bank will help towards buying things like furniture and that. We are close to our family and sure they will help too!
I teach and would love to have 9months=1 year off maternity leave
Would love to here from moms and see what they think xx

I am a teacher too, but can only afford to take off 6 months. You only get SMP after 6 months which is £115 or something per week - there is no way we can live on that with my OH's wage :(

ooo didnt know that, thankyou hun xx

Oh, it is even worse than I thought.....and you must also have worked in the same LEA for a year to get this!

four weeks' full pay;
two weeks' 90% pay;
12 weeks' half pay plus SMP;
21 weeks' SMP;
13 weeks' unpaid leave.

https://www.nasuwt.org.uk/Templates/internal.asp?NodeID=68391&ParentNodeID=70003

Im not sure. Basically, i have no idea what im entitled to, and the nature of my job makes it difficult.
Ive saved up nearly £1000, which is a pretty good start considering i've only been working part time.

That's very good! We've got £1,000 saved but for moving out in July. We'll need some more as well :(

We have a few thousand. We already have a child, so we don't need that much. I have a list of all the things I'd like to get for the new baby when that time comes, it only comes out to a few hundered. And I'm already a SAHM, so no work to take mat. leave from.

so can I ask a stupid question? In England, you get a year of combined stuff, depending on what you work and such? is that right? Can you go back before with no problems and just resume working and don't have to pay back what you used? As for the actual question, we had about $700 in savings but then our dryer tried to kill us this weekend so we had to buy a new one....so we will fix it with the tax return I hope. I'm not too worried because I also have a son so have most of the stuff I need already. :D

That's not a stupid question!

No, it all depends on the job. In most cases you get upto 90% of the pay or the state mat pay! With teaching they sort of wean you off onto the state mat pay.

Our situation depends on where we are (i.e. in rented or bought house). We have just moved into my parents to save up for a deposit and to pay off credit cards as well as a wedding (hopefully!) and baby fund. We are looking (depending on if I can get a job soon) to save around £15,000 and with me working full time on what I was at my old job (barely above min. wage) we will be bringing in around £22,000 and apart from rent for parents and direct debits all our money is going in to savings so we should be able to save a lot within a year. We are looking to buy a shared ownership house so we will be putting around £10,000 as a deposit (or more if we can afford) and will have to buy furniture etc but will continue to save as much as possible up until I give birth!

Sorry, have written loads, just thinking aloud!!

xxx

Hopefully we will have 5k saved in the next 18mths, doesnt sound alot but when you have mortgage etc its hard to save ye ?

so that will be for
£2500 for baby stuff
£2500 for when im off work

hoping to have a year off but I don't know if thats going to be possible. We are just going to save comtinually- there isn't a ceiling amount because they will always need something even when they get older. At the moment we are trying to pay off our overdrafts so are only saving a silly £20.00 per month but when all is paid off it will be approx £200.00 per month from me and whatever H can give me.

I'm a teacher.. we have money saved but I am still only have 6months off work... Been a teacher for nearly 5 years.

I have $5000 saved. Since I have to use sick leave for maternity time off, I plan to take as little off as I can. I may go back to work part time before I go back full time as that will help keep things from falling apart too much at work while I'm gone. My husband just got let go, so I'm hoping he will find part-time work before we start ttc. That way, he can stay home with the baby when I go back to work. I plan to use freecycle (think free recycling) to get free used baby stuff, to keep costs down on anything the baby will need.

This is all in australian dollars

I want to have personally saved between $6000-$8000
Then with baby bonus I should recieve approx $4000
I will also be able to go on some kind of centrelink benefit, although I expect it will be measley and around $100 per week.
For my 21st birthday I will also recieve $10,000
My OH does not want me working for at least a year after we have a baby, but hopefully he will be qualified and making good monies!

Hope to have 9-12 months off of work. We hope to have about £5000, more if possible to cover everything we need x

I imagine its quite unrealistic but me and the OH want me to stay at home until all our kids go to school, another reason it will be good to get it out of the way sooner! My OH earns a fair amount of money though and hes due a raise soon. So I imagine we should save quite a lot before having a baby, no idea how much though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->