• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Baby Shower question

prbetsi75

Reaction score
This is my first child so I am thinking about the baby shower...

I find the gift opening portion of the baby shower both boring and time consuming (for guests). I wondered if it would be wrong to just NOT have this process as part of the baby shower. Would that be wrong? Would people expect it and be disappointed without it? Are there any alternatives to this tradition?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

I'm having one as well as have attended a few in the past few months. I find it so embarrassing sitting opening presents in front of people, I hate to do it at Christmas and I know I'll hate that part of the baby shower coming up, (I'm shy about everyone looking at me) But you kind of have to. I always can't wait to see another person opening gifts I've given them, and I know everyone feels the same way.

If your baby shower includes ppl bringing gifts then I think it's only appropriate to open them in front of the guests. i actually love watching the mom to be open all the cute little baby stuff, and if I've taken the time to shop for a gift then I'd expect it to be opened while I was there.

Interesting. I guess I never felt that way. It didn't matter to me whether or not the mom I bought a gift for opened the gift in front of me. But I guess if that's the exception, not the norm, I'll do the whole gift opening thing. I thought guests didn't like it but I suppose I was wrong.

I had a baby shower two years ago and i didnt open gifts in front of guests or during the shower. I opened them later. Unless the guest was leaving and they requested me to open it, i didn't have to open them. It really was not a big deal either. We played games and ate, we talked....opening gifts wasn't a grand part of the shower. But i did personalize my thank you cards so they know i paid attention and showed that i was genuinely appreciative of their thoughtfulness. Everyone had a good time and i never heard any backlash....

I agree - I never really liked the gift opened part. Most moms to be register to they know exactly what they will get so its not a big surprise. I was hoping to opt out of opening gifts as well

Couple of my DH's friends had baby showers and included gift opening part as a bingo game. That way it was not boring for the guests and fun for everyone.

You could always say you want to open them withDH later? Or perhaps say you want to spread the excitement and open one a day til baby arrives like a Christmas advent calendar!
Or open each one as guests arrive then have a table and display them on there for remainder if shower?

Maybe you could make it into some sort of game to make it more fun and interesting.

You could always say you want to open them withDH later? Or perhaps say you want to spread the excitement and open one a day til baby arrives like a Christmas advent calendar!
Or open each one as guests arrive then have a table and display them on there for remainder if shower?

I like the idea of the display table! You could open the gift in front of the people who got it for you and that would be that :thumbup:

My mom and sisters and I are in the process of planning my other sister's baby shower for baby #2. What we decided to do is have an open invitation. Say, schedule the shower between 1pm and 4pm, and guests are welcome to come anytime between then. At the end, the gifts will be opened, and whomever hangs around will see her open them. This works better for guests who wouldn't be able to come at the one certain time, so instead, they can come by later and drop off their gift and snack if they please. If they are not able to hang around for gifts, they can have her open theirs before they leave. We felt this was the best option, because come on, let's face it. Not everyone enjoys these things!

I keep trying to tell my sisters and mom NO PINK (if it's a girl) and NO MONKEYS PERIOD (I hate monkeys). They keep making fun of me and saying "you don't get to choose". But I feel like I should have a little bit of say. It's that not hard to put those requests on the invite :/

I've been to showers where gifts are not open.

The shower is for the mommy to be....if she plans to open them later that's her choice. maybe she rather not have to sit that long feeling huge while ppl stare at her tearing open wrapping and getting hot and uncomfortable. The point if the shower is to celebrate.

I find it annoying when guests insist gifts are opened bc they made the effort to buy one. The effort to buy one should have been made in celebration of baby and the guest of honour.

I don't plan to open gifts....i rather spend the time bonding with my friends and family before I don't have that time anymore.

I like the idea of the display table! You could open the gift in front of the people who got it for you and that would be that :thumbup:

This could be less time consuming, opening as they arrive and placing them on a table!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->