baby shower???

wishandwant

Reaction score
hi ladies

i know its more of an american thing than a british thing, but have any of you thought will you have a baby shower when the time comes??

i'd never really thought about it until i was floating about the internet and came across a web site dedicated to showers and the stuff was lovely!!

or have you ever been to a baby shower and what was it like?

xxxx

i think it was more of an american thing but i think its becoming more popular here in the UK, id have one if i was pregnant i think its a lovely idea :D

yeah id like one. just people over for a bit of a party or a meal out to celebrate

Hi I've been to 4 baby showers its lovely seeing all the little gifts. I would definitely like a baby shower

my friend and her sister had a joint one (i didnt go) and i think its a good idea.

after watching some american show where they had one and then hearing about my friends i did wonder if i would like one when the time comes.....im still not decided fully!!

i think the going out for a meal / having people over is a good idea, although i feel awkward accepting gifts as it is!! :blush:

Hi Ladies,

I'm an American so the idea of a baby shower doesn't seem odd to me. My mother and my mother-in-law threw me one when I was pregnant with my daughter, and my job also threw me one with my co-workers.

I'd definitely say the one at my job was awkward. I don't recommend that at all. Especially because I hadn't told anyone at the time that I wasn't coming back to work after the baby was born and the doctor put me on bed rest the day after the shower for the remainder of my pregnancy.

The one that my family threw was fun, they invited friends and family. We had some food, played some bizarre baby-related games (like guess the gerbers... yuck by the way, bingo with the gifts, etc.) and then of course we opened presents. I got about 90% of what I needed at the shower, and didn't have to really buy much else for the baby at first. I had clothes until she was 9 months old. Not once did I buy newborn size diapers because I got plenty at the shower!

I've also gone to about a dozen baby showers in the past year and they're pretty much all the same. You get together at someone's house, or a church, or a hall of some variety and there's food, games, and present opening. Some are all women, some are co-ed. I think the trend is leaning more towards co-ed showers right now. I love getting the invitations in the mail, it's always fun to have a party!

Baby showers sound amazing way to celebrate. but when do you do it? as losing my baby at 19 weeks was far enough in.

I am American, and very used to the idea of baby showers, so I would definitely like one. I think it is nice to have friends and family come over, and play baby related games, have some food, and of course the free gifts :haha:Though I'm shy about accepting presents.

I went to my bffs one and it was fab. It's the first time i have been and we played silly games, ate cake and drank non alcoholic drinks.
The best part was my friend opening her pressies because we were all there to watch.

I think its a good idea because the mom doesn't have everyone round at different times. I think my friend was about 7 or 8 months when she had hers, she was quite round :)

I didn't have one last time because I felt uncomfortable with the present giving thing. Since then, I've been to a few which didn't involve presents, just a girly night in - so ithink i will next time

Baby showers are typically thrown toward the end of the pregnancy, a month or two before the due date. In the U.S. it seems to be getting a little out of control with some people I know. Most of the girls I have talked to will have 2-3 baby showers (one for each side of the family and one at work) and also another party to follow-up after the baby is born! Then when they're on baby number two or three, they throw diaper parties, which I think are even more practical. :)

If/when I become pregnant, my friends will be throwing me a baby shower. Even if I didn't want them to, I don't think I could stop them.

i don't think i would throw myself one but if anyone wanted to, i wouldn't say no :haha:

I'm american so it's normal here but I still didn't want one. I don't like the thought of people buying me a ton of gifts just because I decided to reproduce. It just seems weird to me. :haha:

I am Canadian and they are pretty normal here.
I stayed on team Yellow with my daughter, I had a babyshower after I gave birth.
it was better that way for me cause then I was able to get girl things and not just all yellow and green.

i quite like the idea but not sure how my friends/family would react!! as ive never really heard of people having them over here im not sure if anyone would know what to do, well im sure some would!

i wouldnt make people bring me anything but if they wanted tro i'd be ok lol, but i wouldnt want anyone to feel uncomfortable about not brining something by opening stuff, if that makes sense?

but i love the idea of decorations, food, non alcoholic drinks (for me i dont think i'd make anyone else not drink) and games!!

A few of my friends have had baby showers, which I've attended - it was lovely to see the mum-2-be and to celebrate the upcoming arrival.

I like the thought of having one when I am hopefully expecting but I'm not too keen on having presents bought for the baby...it makes me a little nervous! I also don't fancy having any games that will gross me and my friends out - especially those without children yet. I would really like to have a bit of a party with all my girlie friends though with yummy cakes and virgin cocktails.

Sounds like fun!

I also don't fancy having any games that will gross me and my friends out - especially those without children yet.

what? you don't like that "guess the chocolate in a diaper" game?! :rofl:

My friend had one she is South African and it is the 1st and only one I have been too being in the UK. It was all a little strange as I am used to buying presents for friends or family once they have had the baby to celebrate it's birth so to do it before it was born and all the weird games etc was a little strange!

I am not sure I would like one all that attention, I don't like being in the spotlight but I can see why people would have them! especially if you get 90% of the stuff your going to need lol :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->