Baby sleeping too much?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by cooney, Dec 20, 2009.

1. cooney

cooney Well-Known Member

Cora has slept through the night at about 3 weeks old. Now she usually goes to bed at 11pm (we are night people) and wakes up at 8am, gets fed and then sleeps for 3-4 more hours. That is already A LOT of sleep. Last night however she slept from 6pm-8am and then went back to sleep for 4 hours after being fed!!! Today she was fine and active and happy like usual. still 18 hours?! It's nice, don't get me wrong... Should I be concerned?

2. weebubbles

weebubbles Mummy

Hi, my son is just older than your LO and sleeps a lot aswell. He goes to bed around 10pm and wakes up at 8am and sleeps during the day for anywhere between 3 and 5 hours in total. I dont worry as he is happy. But in 2 months time he goes to nursery so will try to get him in some sort of routine with sleeping and eating before then.

3. lorna84

lorna84 mummy to Emilie :))

Im sure you dont have anything to worry about but if worried maybe bring it up with your Hv :hugs:

4. sublime_ivy

sublime_ivy Well-Known Member

dex sleeps like this before he comes down with something like a cold. hopefully it isnt the same for you x

5. Arcanegirl

Arcanegirl Bazinga!!

Nope i wouldnt be, Alex was always a sleepy baby and i was concerned...alot...but hes still growing, eating, happy etc. Its taken me untill recently to relax and accept (and enjoy :lol:)

6. kiwimama

kiwimama Soon to be family of 4!

You just have a good baby! Enjoy it! :)

7. Foogirl

Foogirl Baby Abby 11 weeks early

Abby sleeps from 7-7 (sometimes 7-8) Then gets up and after an hour or so, she is tired and whingy, yawning, rubbing the eyes. She'll then sleep for about another hour from 9-10. She'll go down at about 12 for another 2 hours, then down again at 3.30 for about another hour and a half - 2 hours.

Sometimes she'll do a bit more, sometimes a bit less. I figure she'll sleep when she wants to and wake when she no longer needs to!

She really does seem to have a problem being awake for more than about an hour and a half, we can just about stretch her to 2 hours, but after that she turns into a real whinge monster!

8. lindypops

lindypops Lin, Si and Eve

Eve sleeps from 7-7ish (with one wake up usually, but lately it's been two :( ).

In the day she is rarely awake for more than an hour and a half before she wants another nap. Usually about an hour.

She has a couple of these naps, then by about 4-4.30, she's ready to sleep again. Quite often we have to wake her up at about 6, then spin out the bedtime routine for an hour and put her back to bed at 7. I used to worry that this would affect her night sleep, but she seems to be getting enough of that and always settles herself at night.

9. Mum2b_Claire

Mum2b_Claire Mummy to Ruby & Scarlett!

I think the key thing is to know what's normal for your baby. If it is normal for her to sleep lots, then fine. If my baby had a 4 hour nap I would be concerned, but in your case it sounds like that's just her :)

10. Lizzie Lou

Lizzie Lou Well-Known Member

Hi! Molly does 5.30pm-8am and then another 3-4 hours in the day so I wouldn't be concerned!