Baby sleeps for two hours at the most, when will it get better?

Livebythesea

Reaction score
My little man is nine weeks old. The most he sleeps is two hours at a time. When do you think it will get better? I am co sleeping, otherwise he only sleeps for about 45 minutes to an hour and a half. I am breast feeding only.

Thank you :)

Are you ebf or formula feeding? ebf babies usually tend to sleep for shorter amounts of time as the milk metabolises faster.

All babies are different, but my lo (ebf) started sleeping in 3-4 hour stretches from about 6 or 7 weeks (not every night though & certainly not during the day), his first stretch of the night now is 7-8 hours (asleep by 8:30pm at the latest), then he wakes up another 2 or so times having only slept 1.5-3 hours per stretch.

Im not going to lie my ebf baby didnt sleep longer than 2 hours until she was 8.5 months old. It was worse through growth spurts...sometimes 30 mins tops.

Sorry probably not what you want to hear but it does get better...eventually!! Its different fir every baby though, some ebf los sleep through right from the get go.

Hang in there! Xx

Every baby is different but Sophie is ebf and has started doing 6 hour stretches at night. She is 11 weeks now. Hope your LO starts sleeping for longer soon - I know how tough it is getting up every 2 hours!:D

Hopefully soon! DS was waking hourly until 9 months and then it just started getting better, and at a year old when we switched to cows milk me started sleeping 5+ hours at a time :). Sometimes when they go onto solids they start sleeping better (although I don't know anyone in real life who had this happen, lol), sometimes it just happens

Its different for every baby. My LO was breast fed for the first few weeks then went to FF and still woke every 2 hours until he was 10 weeks old. Then it was 3.5-4hr stretches. At 8.5 months, he can still wake 1-2 times a night.

Meanwhile I know people who EBF and their babies have slept better then my FF baby. ALLLLL babies are different :D

I've been struggling and wondering this lately!!
My LO is 3 months and exclusively bf, she feeds 1.5-2 hourly in the day and 2 hourly (sometimes 3 hourly) at night. And that is when she isn't going through a growth spurt!!
During growth spurts it is 2 hourly max day and night.

I'm not much help but just wanted you to know you're not alone!! I'm so exhausted I regularly wonder whether I am going to get post natal depression because I'm so tired and emotional all the time!! Hugs. Xxx

Thank you for all of your replies! I have to look at the bright side - I was up every hour and in awful shape when pregnant so Im still happier to be up every two hours, or less, than being huge and an awful prego lady!

I ebf and my lo has just started to sleep for 3-4 hours at 2 mths old. I allow myself to get a full night of sleep once a week by pumping milk and letting my husband take care of her for a night. I have classes all day Saturday so I sleep in a different room on Friday nights. Its the 1 night of the week I look forward to. I hope you're able to get some good rest soon :)

Err, I'll let you know when we get there. My almost 10-month old has never slept for more than 2 hours.
(She was EBF up until 6 months and is eating plenty of solid food now, too.)

Err, I'll let you know when we get there. My almost 10-month old has never slept for more than 2 hours.
(She was EBF up until 6 months and is eating plenty of solid food now, too.)

WOW!!!

My baby is two months old and is such a joy! But during the pregnancy I gained 80 pounds. I moved and don't have a scale but I had lost 40 pounds so I am walking better and feeling better But my back is in such pain from breast-feeding my chiropractor says and being hunched over. My arms are in pain from holding the baby all the time. My legs are in pain because I couldn't do anything for so many months because I was so heavy! My hips hurt and my chiropractor said that's also from having the baby. Does anyone else just feel like they've been run over all the time? Doesn't help when you haven't had more than two hours sleep at a time in about four months.

If you have felt like this, what did you do to help yourself feel better? Where I live massages are about hundred dollars for an hour. It is not really in my budget right now.

Thank you

My ebf baby sleeps from 8/9 until 6/7 with 2/3/4 feedings at night. So her sleep stretches vary from 4 hours at a time to about 1.5. But every night there is one long stretch which is roughly 4 hours. She is 9.5 weeks.

A few tips - you can breastfeed lying down - being hunched over is not good

Try to sleep when the baby is asleep during the day

Walking/ a bath/ gentle exercise is just as good as a massage :)

Hope you are feeling better soon :)

My second started sleeping longer than 2 hour blocks at 6 weeks. My first started sleeping longer than 2 hour blocks at 1 year + 1 week. It was hell.

Most likely it will get better around 10-12 weeks, then worse around 14 weeks, then better a month or two after that, then worse again at 6 months, then better, then worse again at 8-10 months, then better, worse when LO starts walking, then better ...

Parenting is hard.

:hugs: :hugs:

it depends on the baby, mine started doing longer stretches at 6 weeks (8-10 hours). Then she regressed back to waking up every 3 hours around 4 months for about a week :/

At 6 months she started sttn (11-12 hours) and she still is. I woulnd't worry too much about long stretches for a baby as young as yours (under 3 months)

My baby is two months old and is such a joy! But during the pregnancy I gained 80 pounds. I moved and don't have a scale but I had lost 40 pounds so I am walking better and feeling better But my back is in such pain from breast-feeding my chiropractor says and being hunched over. My arms are in pain from holding the baby all the time. My legs are in pain because I couldn't do anything for so many months because I was so heavy! My hips hurt and my chiropractor said that's also from having the baby. Does anyone else just feel like they've been run over all the time? Doesn't help when you haven't had more than two hours sleep at a time in about four months.

If you have felt like this, what did you do to help yourself feel better? Where I live massages are about hundred dollars for an hour. It is not really in my budget right now.

Thank you

I also have the same problem with my upper back and now also my lower back from lifting. I've tried bf'ing while lying down but it doesn't seem to work very well with latching on. I find Tui Na massage (aka Chinese massage) to be quite effective and its also much cheaper than standard massages because it comes with no frills. Some places will do it for $55 for an hour. To be honest it can be quite painful and uncomfortable when they manipulate the muscles but its worth it the next day when the pain is gone. They will also tailor the pressure to your liking so it doesn't have to be too painful. Heres some basic info on it https://www.tui-na.com/tuina.html Hope you feel better soon.

My little man is nine weeks old. The most he sleeps is two hours at a time. When do you think it will get better? I am co sleeping, otherwise he only sleeps for about 45 minutes to an hour and a half. I am breast feeding only.

Thank you :)
Georgia is EBF and is almost 4 months. Until last week she was feeding every 2 hrs during the day and every 3 at nighttime. At 6 weeks I moved her from her bassinet to bedsharing with me. So I didn't have to get up at nighttime 3 times. I feed her lying down in the bed and I get a good nights rest. It
Might be an idea to bedshare if it's disrupting your sleep.

For daytime, have a basket with snacks and a book and a juice box and the tv remote ready so you're not bored during your frequent feedings :). To get out of the house, other than a walk, I'd go to the mall because a lot of them have a mothers room to nurse in.

This week she's pushing towards every 3 hrs in the day and 4 hrs at nighttime.

Some tips to maybe get him to sleep longer: swaddling and white noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->