Baby vs. debt free life

I think I may have worded my post weird so I'll clarify, without baby it will take 4 years, with baby it will take 20. :)

Even so that is fine. Without children it would still take the majority of people atleast 25 years to pay off their mortgage. I say go for it x

I wouldn't put off TTC if you can pay the mortgage off every month! I know it'd be lovely not to have any big outgoings, but most people have to. We have 28 years left on ours, doesn't bother me at all x

I would personally clear off the car debt as it will be a massive relief to have that off your back before you have the baby and will be one less thing to worry about, especially because you're both still really young. Waiting another couple of years is not too bad.

I personally wouldn't worry about the mortgage as this is usually a standard bill that everyone has to pay.

I'd sit down and work out how much money you'd have with all of your outgoings and see what the figures look like. That's what me and OH did and it was a relief to see the figures in front of us to work out how we would survive.

I agree with pp that you'll never be 100% financially stable enough to have a child as you never know what's around the corner, but I do believe that you can be prepared and realistic with money

Good luck with your decision.

Xx

I have to be honest, if I was your age and had only 4 years left to pay off mortgage, I would do it too, if it was going to revert back to 20 years if I had a baby now. It's an amazing position to be in, an you would never have to worry about finances again as you would always have equity. Failing that, if you can pay off 50% in two years and your monthly amount will drop, that's bloody good too. Babies can wait, what an amazing position to be in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->