Baby waking up screaming 1-2hrs after bedtime!

lolalei3

Mum of one gorgeous girl
Reaction score
What do I do?? She is fed, clean etc but without fail will wake 1-2hrs after I put her in her cot screaming then won't go to sleep again for two hours which really sucks when she wakes at 10pm and won't go down again till 12, then last night woke an hour after that for a feed!! Worried Im creating a bad sleep association as I bring her out in the living room and just let her lay around and play :-/ any advice? Also nothing we do during the day nap wise seems to make any difference!

Sorry what I meant to ask was should I try cc in her cot so she knows night time is sleep time?

Could it be wind? When my DD woke up screaming an hour after she'd gone to bed it was most often due to wind. She sometimes wakes up now, scteaming and arching her back. I keep it dark, take her into our bedroom and give her a pat until she burps or farts (whilst she is still yelling!) and then she seems to calm down. Sometimes she'd go straight back to sleep in my arms or sometimes I just sit and cuddle and rock with her on my knee. You might already have tried winding her though. My 19 month old still needs help getting her windy pops out when she's fallen asleep. Otherwise she will wake up crying inconsolably.

I would just continue to keep her in her room (for as long as it takes, it may take a week or more, but eventually she will get it). After 1-2 hours, I would actually suspect a gas pain though, my 1st always did that even at 6-7 months.

Right! Yea I think it is wind! As she burps and farts a lot when we get her up, she's given wind drops and a stomach calming liquid so I don't know what else I could give her? Also do baby massage, but why the two hours of awake time??? And would it just be cruel to let her cry whilst she has wind?

Could be the eight month sleep regression; we hit it early. It involved a lot of unexplained waking, hard to get her back to sleep. She normally sttn so it was out of character.

How long is she awake between her last nap and bedtime? Waking 1-2 hours after falling asleep for the night is often an indication that baby is overtired.

Right! Yea I think it is wind! As she burps and farts a lot when we get her up, she's given wind drops and a stomach calming liquid so I don't know what else I could give her? Also do baby massage, but why the two hours of awake time??? And would it just be cruel to let her cry whilst she has wind?

The gas pains could wind her up so much that it startles her awake and turns into a regular awake time. I (personally) think it would be mean to just leave her to cry if it's gas pain - babies with gas pain will cry (no doubt about that!) but it is something that we should actively try and fix/reduce. Have you tried feeding her and completely burping/getting out the gas before the bedtime routine?

My 2nd baby, I decided I would remove feeding from the right-before-bed routine as he did the same (my 1st did too but I never clued in). In the past few nights, he doesn't do it anymore, as he is fed about 20 minutes before bed in the living room and all his gas out.

Yesterday she was awake no more than 3-4hrs after her last nap before bed and it still happened don't think it'd over tiredness, do think it could possibly be wind tho, give her last bottle about an hour before bed and she burps heaps so dunno what's going on really!

Yesterday she was awake no more than 3-4hrs after her last nap before bed and it still happened don't think it'd over tiredness, do think it could possibly be wind tho, give her last bottle about an hour before bed and she burps heaps so dunno what's going on really!

That might be a bit long if she's 7 months old - I'd do 3 hours maximum if possible. It also could be wind! I hadn't thought of that, but I think aliss' advice to move the last feed 20 minutes or so before bedtime is good.

Just had a look on the net I think it's separation anxiety!! She is fine until we leave the room, I think if it was wind she would still be crying when picked up but it's like the second we are out of view she starts up!

My LO is the same except she does go back to sleep after she wakes. But she usually wakes every hour until I go to bed. Like your LO she is absolutely fine as soon as I pick her up but then starts screaming again as soon as I try and put her back in the cot. I do keep her in the bedroom rather than getting her back up.

I do think I may end up doing CC with my LO eventually but I do feel that separation anxiety is contributing to her current poor sleep so I don't feel comfortable to let her cry at the moment.

Aliss, I really like the idea of moving the last feed to 20 minutes before bedtime. I have tried to do this with Clara and she won't go to sleep at all, even though she doesn't feed to sleep. Maybe this is where I should start though in trying to break the association between nursing and sleep. The problem I have is that Clara doesn't feed well in the sitting room or anywhere there are any distractions so the bedtime feed is really one of her best feeds of the day. It's also my favourite feed of the day which is also probably why I have trouble changing it round.

My dd does this probably 5 out of 10 nights. We usually have to go in and rock her and get some wind up. I refuse to bring her downstairs and out of her room because she needs to know it is bed time.

I'll prob get crap for this but we just did controlled crying and she pretty much just cried until the two hours was up and fell asleep, on the other hand if we had taken her into the lounge she would have sat and played for two hours no crying. I feel horrible but she needs to know it's bed time and it's not my sleep Im worried about as I don't go to bed till now anyway, it's her loosing quality sleep! This is so hard! :-(

This still happens almost every night for us.. he goes straight back to sleep though as soon as I give him a cuddle and some boob.. I think he just misses me as we bed share most of the night (but I like some me time in the evening lol).

I wouldn't take her out of the room, that's only encouraging the waking IMO :)

Have to add we went in intervals to soothe her, hold her hand and stroke her head so she wasn't just left to cry

Yeah, I agree that you shouldn't take her out of her room. It may be developmental too. A lot of this weird sleep stuff doesn't have an explaination and is really a "phase".

I think you were right Noelle she was overtired, we have started letting her nap later now till around 6.30 if she needs it with a bedtime of 8.30/9 with two nights of success!! The lateish bedtime is necessary for us atm as she is on 3 bottles and will only take them at least 5/6hrs apart so 8.30am, 2.30pm and 8.30pm. Fingers crossed we have cracked it! Hehe

Some babies do have periods of excessive crying. Ivy did, eventually it stopped and she settled, i hugged, cuddled and sang to her. But if it continues past a few weeks i think id visit the doctor.

xx

I think you were right Noelle she was overtired, we have started letting her nap later now till around 6.30 if she needs it with a bedtime of 8.30/9 with two nights of success!! The lateish bedtime is necessary for us atm as she is on 3 bottles and will only take them at least 5/6hrs apart so 8.30am, 2.30pm and 8.30pm. Fingers crossed we have cracked it! Hehe

So glad it worked! I think a late nap is fine if that's what works for your family :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->