baby with milk allergy

kiwilove

Reaction score
My friend just came over for a play date. Her daughter is only 6 and a half months old. She has a milk allergy and is on Alimentum formula. Her pediatrician put the baby on a strict eating schedule. I am worried sick for this baby because the doctor told her to only give her 1 ounce of formula at each meal and the rest food! This doesnt make sense to me and I am sick over it. Does anyone have any insight on this?

I would say that doesn't sound like very good advice, but there are a lot of doctors who (wrongly) believe babies should be significantly decreasing formula or breast milk as soon as they start solids. It's not good advice and it's not evidence-based but it is a very old school way of approaching it. How is your friend dealing with that advice? I mean, of course, ideally she should be doing her own research, but many people do take doctor's word as the word of God and don't question it. Obviously, ultimately it's her responsibility to make good choices for her baby, but if you're concerned you might just mention casually that you read all babies should be fed milk (dairy free or not) on demand until age 1 and ask if it's different for those with a milk allergy. Or you can be very passive about it and post something on Facebook if you're friends with useful info. I wouldn't probably say more than that though. If she believes that's what she's supposed to do and won't hear otherwise, you probably won't change her mind by making a case out of it unfortunately. It's definitely worrying though.

My baby has just been diagnosed with suspected cows milk allergy, she is 4 and a half months old. One thing we have been asked is to give her more smaller feeds - although 1oz wouldn't even touch the sides of my wee one!

My wee one is taking 6oz 4x/day. According to the feeding instructions, she should be having 7oz/x4, but she never takes the last ounce. We have actually been told that we will need to be really careful introducing foods as there may be other allergies. Right now she only has tastes of food, 1-2 spoons of mashed vegetables at a time, as per my health visitors instruction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->