baby wont take lumpy food (7month jars)

mumof2girls

Reaction score
Hi all, Well I usually cook for the baby but I blend that up to puree for her and now shes 7 1/2 months I thought I should introduce some lumpier food. She has been having finger foods from around 5 1/2 months so I thought she would take it well as she handles the finger food well. She likes anything with tomato sauce and pasta so I chose a jar with those in so it would ba a familiar taste to her. Well...... she spat the lot out and cried, I gave her about 6 spoonfuls then left it at that as she was becoming upset. I gave her a fromage frais afterwards but I dont know if I should have? I cant starve her but I know she needs to get used to this food. Any tips on what I can do? Do I just keep trying a bit at a time? then maybe offer a puree on top of that so long as she has tried it iygwim? x

To be honest I don't know what stage 2 jars are like consistency wise, are they smooth with a few lumps in or do they have an overall lumpy texture? I've heard that some babies prefer the latter...rather than a smooth texture with random lumps.

I would say its an overall lumpy texture. I have tried her again with the same and she took a couple of mouthfulls really well (she gagged a bit but thats normal) so I think it could possibly be more the flavour..... my dh had a taste and it was quite spicy for a baby so will try an new flavour tomorrow x

The stage two jars are very lumpy i thought for a baby coming onto them from pureed food, we tried it on a couple of ocassions but Summer isnt doing so well so we're sticking with finger foods for a while and hoping she'll do a bit better in a month or so when we try her again with the stage two.

Hope your little one gets used to the stage two better soon x

I think the best thing is to keep trying hun,

obviously not let her get upset,but just try everyday..as she will have to get used to lumps sometime otherwise she'll be on puree forever.

I tried mash potato mixed with beans and cheese to begin with and blended it a little so it still was a little lumpy but not completely pureed and ryan got on well with it.

Hope it gets better x

I tried again yesterday but with a different flavour and she was much better so think it was the flavour. Everytime she had a spoonful I would give lots of praise to encourage her and she did really well! Will obviously try her with that flavour again just to be sure but leave leave it a couple of weeks x Thanks for your replies girls x

I found that Poppy would turn her nose up at a lot of jars, but the home made stuff she loved (there's something in the preservatives or flavouring she just didn't like)

So maybe try introducing it yourself gradually. I did lots of mash, but would add tiny bits of other veggies or chicken etc, mixed with a hand blender. I'd then gradually blend them for less and less time to it got more textured. She then got used to it slowly and is now fine with pretty much anything!!

One of my twins was like that,she wouldnt eat lumpy food (we do half home-made,half jars) but after days of trying she finally started eating with no problems.

Also,try puting lumpy jars in a blender,just for a quick blend,so it's not smooth but not too lumpy,and then gradually introduce more texture.

Sophie hates jars, I have always made hers
BUT like you I wasnt sure what to do now she is 8 months.
So I have just been making the usual but instead of belnding it, I just literally mash it up so there is some lumps in

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->