Babygro's for August baby (UK)

xsarahbellax

Reaction score
Hello all!

We found out yesterday we're having a boy, so now I can start shopping!!

Only thing is, I'm completely clueless! :-(

For an August baby, should I buy all-in-one's with short legs/sleeves or long legs/sleeves?

Which is best for day & which is best for night?

And would they need a cardi or something on top too?

I think it's just hit me how little I know!!!

Xx

I think we are going so sleepsuits (long legs and arms) in general for the nights, but having a few short sleeved incase we get a hot summer.

As for day....I'm getting the one-sies (popper between leg but no legs...) with long and short sleeves as we never know what kind of weather we'll be having. I REALLY don't know if that's right or not!

Congrats on your little man! How exciting. This is my first baby so i dont know how much help i can be but mine is due early sept and im thinking the weather is still usually quite hot then.
Im planning on getting full length baby gros with cardi's, wee jumpers etc and then short sleeve vests with little trousers. You can even buy the long baby gros without the feet which are meant for warmer weather. Im not going to buy any proper outfits as they grow out of them soooo quickly. By the time baby is 3 months itl probably be starting to get colder. xx

I have normal babygro's/sleepsuits with long legs and arms for my baby and she is due in August. If it gets too hot she can just sleep in a vest with sheets as bedding like I did with my other 2 when they were babies.

Im worrying too as I had a winter baby last time.

Im buying mostly long sleeve/long leg babygrows and outfits. Babies cant regulate their temperature like we can and I think its generally that babies are to have one more layer than us.
I have got a few short ones just incase its boiling and a couple of cardigans and blankets so if you think they are too hot/cold you can add/remove layers.

For bedtimes, I will use long sleeve babygrows.

My baby is due early September and I think I am just going to get a mixture! The English weather is unpredictable at the best of times so better to stock up all round I think.

2 years ago I remember on 8th September is was 32C!! (That was the day I got married).

im not much help either sorry im having tha same dilema im due aug 3rd. ive bought a load of short sets of dungeries from next and bit worried now that ive wasted a load of money on them im thinking aslong as i got nice cardi's and shawls they will be ok

A good general rule is that baby will need one extra layer than you will. My first was born in September (exactly a month after this next baby is due) and she just wore short sleeved vests with a sleepsuit (the ones with the feet) most of the time, but it had cooled down a bit by then I think. This time I'll obviously be using my daughter's old stuff but I will also get some plain cheap packs of sleeveless vests and some rompers (like sleepsuits but without feet).

If ever you're worried, it's better to risk baby being chilly rather than too hot - cold isn't really a problem unless they're really cold, but it's easy for a baby to overheat.

i think just stock up on all types
you never know what the weather over here is going to be like lol
i've got some long sleeve ones
& short
& i've got a couple of jackets ones thick and the others a bit more of a summer cardy

My LO was born in July 09 and it was bloody scorching til late September. He was rarely dressed in the house, just wore a nappy as he was held most of the time too and kept breaking into sweat rashes. When out and about he was in a romper and a peaked cap. I found rompers fab as they were looser than baby gros and short sleeves and short legged but covered all the nappy and upper leg.

This was my fave outfit from ASDA:

https://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/5533_512328590084_284300026_639110_5026053_n.jpg

It's a t-shirt and dungarees set but it served the same purpose as a romper.

At night he was just in a nappy and swaddling cloth:

https://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/5533_512328585094_284300026_639109_1373916_n.jpg

We live in Sussex and I swear every day from June - September was roasting, even when it was raining it was stuffy. I don't think it was the same for my parents up North so it's really hard to judge but we'd bought this mass of clothing in bulk from a nearly new sale and about 90% of it went unworn because it was too hot to dress him. I'd personally recommend buying as you need it. I would never have contemplated that when I was pregnant with him but I found so much of the stuff we had unsuitable, and we got given so much stuff (including shopping vouchers) that we didn't know what to do with it all. On top of that, some days you just need to get out of the house and I would literally go to town and just wander through shops but not be able to justify buying anything because we had so much unworn at home lol.

Here is my favourite outfit so far that I have got for little man, its like a little romper and looks even cuter in real life, cant wait to put him in it.

Attachments

• Zebra.jpg
    Zebra.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 5
one thing that really helped for my son when it got really hot in the summer was to have one of those room thermometres we have an egg one that lights up and changes colour.

these days they have note on everything - i know mothercare have it on their website and mamas and papas have it on their site and on their badding labels - telling you at which temperature you need to reduce or increase bedding,

it really helped me at first because like you i had absolutely no idea. you will figure out what your baby is most comfortable with, my son always ran a little warm so never ever had a vest on under his sleepsuit even though he was a winter baby and if he did get a little chilly at times i would just put a cardi over his sleepsuit and sometimes those little jogger bottom trousers you can get

anywho i am having a late august baby so am going to get a few bits of everything and just adjust where required, oh and dont be afraid to only have baby in their nappy if it really is hot, honestly i know how you feel i was exactly the same and totally obsessed with "is he hot" "is he cold" but you get to know your baby and at the end of the day if you just keep an eye on baby a few minutes after you have put them in bed, if they feel hot you have put too many layers on so you take one of go back and check again in a few mins and if fine you will remember the next night not to put that one extra layer on

sorry rambling a bit, i just know how much i worried about it, because they always have warnings over everything saying do not over heat baby etc etc, but dont worry if you check back on baby not long after putting in bed then you will know if you have put too many layers on or not enough

xkx

Thanks for all your help girls! There's just so much to think about! I guess I'll get a mixture of short & long to start off with, as there's no predicting the weather here!! Will aim not to buy too much though, as don't want stuff going unworn, plus I expect people will buy us things too.

My brother & his wife have a 5 week old baby that has already outgrown sooooo much stuff. Unfortunately theirs is a girl, so no hand-me-downs for us!

Here is my favourite outfit so far that I have got for little man, its like a little romper and looks even cuter in real life, cant wait to put him in it.

OMG I saw that yesterday & was soooo tempted to make my first official baby purchase, but I just didn't know what size to get! I guess "newborn"? Are babies ever born too big for "newborn" stuff??

I'm completely the same i have no idea and baby is due in august.

I've heard lots about the one more layer than us rule so i've bought some little short sleeved vests for him to wear if it does get really hot.. or most probably i'll put him in the vests with a long sleeved and legged sleepsuit over the top. probably be the same for nighttime depending on the weather as to weather he wears one layer or two. And also have blankets at hand when we're out during the day and of course at night as these are easy to just add or remove rather than remove/change his clothes..

PLus im looking to get one of those colour changing egg thermometers as im clueless and think they're great. I'm guessing its just down to trial and error and of course seeing what our summers actually turn out to be like

ha ha mine was born too big but he was 11lb 6onz so was only just in 0-3 months for a couple of weeks lol

i would say dont go too mad on buying newborn size clothes i would get a couple of things, if your baby is born really small then you have a couple to put them in and then you can send dh or your mum to get some more things in newborn size. your baby will certainly grow to fit into 0-3 month clothes but might not ever be comfortable in newborn size if that makes sense?

Thanks for all your help girls! There's just so much to think about! I guess I'll get a mixture of short & long to start off with, as there's no predicting the weather here!! Will aim not to buy too much though, as don't want stuff going unworn, plus I expect people will buy us things too.

My brother & his wife have a 5 week old baby that has already outgrown sooooo much stuff. Unfortunately theirs is a girl, so no hand-me-downs for us!

OMG I saw that yesterday & was soooo tempted to make my first official baby purchase, but I just didn't know what size to get! I guess "newborn"? Are babies ever born too big for "newborn" stuff??

It was my first newborn purchase :happydance: I seen it a couple of days before my scan and said if Im having a boy I'm definately getting it so it was the first thing I bought. I got it in 0-3 months but now Im a bit worried, Phoebe was 9lbs and outgrew newborn stuff in 2 weeks but you never know really how big this one will be. Im assuming Im having a big one again :shrug:

Yes! Well it depends more on the build of your baby I think rather than the weight. My LO was 6lb 14oz so would have been in Newborn clothes but because he was skinny we had to get people to bring us "early baby" and "tiny baby" which he stayed in for at least 6 weeks and was still in some of it at 12 weeks, whereas other babies I know were straight into 0-3months. I'd say newborn is your safest bet though if you want to get summery use out of it.

Eeeeek! Now I have more to think about!! Don't want to buy cute little outfits that he'll never fit in! If I buy something in newborn (& leave the tags on), and then he comes out massive, do shops tend to do exchanges, even though it'll be over their 30 day policy? Xx

I've got a mixture of things, some shortsleeved and longsleeved vests (the things with no legs), some babygrows, a couple of dungarees and a couple of cardigan/hoodie type things. If it's cold, I'll layer him up, if it's hot, he can be in a shortsleeved vest alone or with cotton dungarees (I have one cotton set and two denim).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->