Baby's hospital bag

knk2011

Reuben's Mummy :)
Reaction score

It's a little early, but we're moving house soon and I'd like to have them packed so that I know it's ready and put away. I have a small bag for baby's things, so that they are separate from mine.

What do you suggest I need for it and how much of each?

I'm aware that some hospitals provide things like nappies etc, but I want to take my own anyway.
How many baby grows should I pack?
Hats, mitts, etc?

Also, my friend says that using a dummy/soother too soon affects baby from latching on so well when breast feeding. But everyone I know who breast fed used one and they had no problems? Do I pack soothers?

I would not pack a dummy , as will affect the latch and breast feeding, I've packed a couple nappies, one vest one baby grow warm hat , couple blankets, camera, baby seat for car, huggies cotton sheets, sudo cream, overnight toiletries for me ( shower stuff) no towel as they provide , clean clothes for me (the most comfy u have ) some chocolate, big bottle water, and nibbles for birthing partner. Hope this helps I took a suitcase in first time and virtually nothing was needed so this is my edited bag this time round

Your not advised to put anything artificial in babies mouth for 6weeks as it makes it harder to breast feed. I personally won't be using dummies if they can be avoided. I have packed 2 newborn vests and 2 babygrows the same in 0-3months and a cute outfit to wear home, 2hats 2mittens and a cardi incase its cold. Then 2cellular blankets and 2 muslin squares. X

About 3 or 4 outfits for baby just in case they end up keeping you in for 24 hours.

15 nappies, wipes, cotton wool or pads, baby towel, hand mitts, socks, nappy disposal bags, blanket or 2, hats, baby coming home outfit... can't think of anything else!

Ooh muslin cloths, I forgot to pack them! Thanks

How soon before your due date do you ladies plan on washing the clothes/muslin cloths etc?

(The muslin cloths I bought came in a packet, they were definitely starched etc before being packed and sold)

I'm washing everything this week - at 37 weeks, would have done it sooner but just started maternity leave today :)

I'm washing it all this week, already washed the stuff for hospital bag x

I'd say you need 3x vest and 3x baby grows as baby could be sick, spit up milk or ave a leaky nappy on more than one occasion. (Mine did!) plus you never know how long they'll keep you. I packed 3of each in newborn 9lb size and 3 of each in the size below 7.5size and I ended up needing the smaller size and still was very roomy

Outfit for coming home?

Cardi or coat if cold

Nappies I'd say pack between 10-20 again you don't know how long you'll be in for and newborns use between 8-10 per day!

Hats.. Only needed indoors for first 24hrs.. Unlikely to get soiled but you never know so a couple should do

Scratch mits.. A couple, some grows even have them built in

Muslims/bibs these get dirty real quick so I'd say 3-4

Wipes or if you brave cotton wool.

Blanket

I didn't bath or wash properly till I was home so didn't need a towel or toiletries I just used wipes or cotton wool amd water but up to you

If you want to pack more lightly have a bag in the car or on hand for someone to bring In case of big/small baby or a longer stay is nessecery.

That's what I'm doing. Having one bag for a short stay and extras in a spare bag that we'll leave in the car.

Personally wouldn't take a dummy ... Not using one either if I can avoid it... Some babies never need one and introducing one unnecessarily can be hell later on.

I packed 3x outfit in new born and 2x size 000 incase he's big... 5 vests... Three wraps ... 15 nappies and a pack of wipes ...3x hats

I am having a section so packed a little heavy incase a long stay... Dh could nip home tho as only live 5 mins away :)

Washed and packed baby stuff a week ago and only just did my hospital bag today lol

I packed babys bag a week ago as we were going away, and packed mine yesterday. I packed about 3 or 4 outfits in different sizes, a few muslin squares, nappies, couple of hats and scratch mitts, cotton wool, nappy sacks and a blanket.

Someone said they packed sudocrem but I personally don't think baby will need it until much later on, it's only really for when they get nappy rash and wouldnt happen in the first few days. Infact I don't think my daughter had nappy rash until she was about 6 months and then it was just once or twice!xx

I just got a phone call with our moving date, which is June 13th. I will be 33 weeks.
Do you reckon holding off to pack until then will be ok? Or do you recommend being prepared earlier than that?

I want to pack baby's bag with OH. Then he can get involved and have a say in what baby should wear :)

I'm 37 and have only just packed ... 33 sounds fine

I only just packed my bags a few days ago :D. I am bringing 5 baby outfits (vest and babygro) and a couple of cardis just in case, last time 3 outfits were not enough and we were only in for about 15 hours in total. I wouldn't bring dummies, while some BF babies will be ok and not confused by them at this stage you want to encourage them to feed as much as possible, it's very very important and a dummy this early could prevent them from demanding feeding as often as they need. Other than clothes, nappies, cotton wool or water wipes and a jacket, blanket and car seat for going home there isn't anything really essential. Many hospitals now do not advise putting a hat on the baby indoors as its an overheating risk and nappy sacks aren't needed as the meconium doesn't smell of anything and they have bins for such waste anyway without needing it to be out in another bag. Most hospitals have shops selling all the essentials if you end up forgetting something important xx

I'm packing baby's bag this week, and almost finishing mine. All her clothes were washed and ironed over the past 2 weeks. I'm also taking baby nail files, as I don't like the idea of biting the nails like they suggest!! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->