• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Babywearing in a wheelchair

CrazyMumma

Reaction score
Hi all

I am now 19 weeks pregnant and needing to use a wheelchair due to severe SPD. I have been told to expect to need the wheelchair for around 3 months after delivery, possibly longer if my pelvis doesn't settle and I need surgery.

I need to find a carrier suitable for use in a wheelchair. There are a few things I need to be careful of

- no buckles etc on my back
- weight evenly spread across my back (one shoulder is weak from a previous injury)
- as little weight as possible on my legs as this puts pressure on my pelvis
- no restriction on arm movements as I am in a manual chair and need to be able to push myself
- be able to put baby in carrier while sitting down
- I'd rather not get tangled up in a long wrap style carrier
- would like to be able to breastfeed in the carrier

Any ideas lovely ladies?

Even though a Ring Sling is only across one shoulder, I think it would work well for the first three months. What shoulder is the weak one?

RS's are easy to put on and adjust (once you get the hang...there are great tutorials on youtube) and are great for nursing.

There are also stretchy type wrap like carriers that are more like a shirt that you pop the baby in. Baby Ktan maybe? Not sure as I just used a moby, rs and woven wrap.

Its my right shoulder thats weaker, so i could wear baby on the left?

I'm right handed and have the baby on my right side with the rings over my left shoulder. With a newborn you'll be tummy to tummy though. I think the rings on your left shoulder would be fine for you. Is there a local babywearing group near you? Many have sling libraries in which you can check out a carrier.

look into the baby k'tan. it's like a wrap but you don't have to wrap it. it goes over both shoulders and you can spread the fabric to distribute the weight. i love mine and i've seen things about people wearing it in wheelchairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->