Babywearing manifesto

Kit

Reaction score
Continuing in my current ranty manner, I am seriously considering starting to hand out little cards to annoying people rather tnan waste my breath explaining myself. I have come up with the following "babywearing manifesto". Any additions?!

1 The manner in which I choose to carry my child has no effect upon you whatsoever and any comment you choose to make is therefore for your own personal gratification.

2 Sitting there with a bum-face is not going to make me re-evaluate my parenting choices so save yourself the wrinkles.

3 No, he is not going to fall out. If this was a major risk then a number of world cultures would have died out many generations ago.

4 No he is not going to suffocate. He is 9 months old and perfectly capable of moving his head.

5 No he is not uncomfortable. Are you uncomfortable with that stick you have rammed up your backside?

6 No he would not be better in a pram. Mainly because if he was in a pram you would now be whinging about how much space prams take up.

7 No, I do not look like an African lady. I am not using an African wrap, I am white and I don’t have the level of wrapping skill that ladies from African cultures have. If I did look like an African lady I would not, however, have a problem with this.

8 No, I am not from Eastern Europe. I understand every word you are saying about me as you will find out when I slap you round the chops.

9 I can see you pursing your lips and muttering. Using a sling does not make me either blind or mentally sub-normal.

10 If you decide that it is appropriate to try and grab my baby off my back because you think I am incapable of taking him down safely, then I may decide it is appropriate to start screaming for help.

excellent! can we all have some ;)

:rofl: I must take note of this for future reference

:lol: can't understand why anyone would have a problem with babywearing anyways!

Fantastic :D My Cath Kidston baby sling is on it's way to me, and I can't wait to start babywearing! Might have to get some of these cards printed, laminated and on standby in my purse!

:haha:

Its very sad that you get these responses.

I get lots of looks of endearment and comments like "look at the cute baby in the pouch!" :mrgreen:

:cloud9:

:-O

I can't beleive you get that reaction!

Granted I used a baby bjorn so its easier than a sling in many ways, but I don't think I've ever got a bad reaction from anybody. Most people just stare but I think its just because they haven't seen it before.. :/

oh this list is absolutely fantastic :haha:

ive thought of one to add:

11. It is NOT NECESSARY for you to follow me around the shop, panic stricken and arms outstretched, ready to catch my son should he fall from the Mei Tai he is riding in. I have explained to you that he will not fall out and i have even shown you how it works. Please LEAVE ME ALONE.

:laugh2:

I guess wearing your baby is weird where you are??? Where I live I would say almost half of people always wear their LOs - and tons of others have slings to use when the stroller is impractical. I can't believe people get hassled so much!!! :growlmad:

xx

ive thought of one to add:

11. It is NOT NECESSARY for you to follow me around the shop, panic stricken and arms outstretched, ready to catch my son should he fall from the Mei Tai he is riding in. I have explained to you that he will not fall out and i have even shown you how it works. Please LEAVE ME ALONE.

:laugh2:

Ooh this is a good one!

I guess wearing your baby is weird where you are??? Where I live I would say almost half of people always wear their LOs - and tons of others have slings to use when the stroller is impractical. I can't believe people get hassled so much!!! :growlmad:

xx

I think it seems to be fairly localised to certain parts of south-west London. I work in Brixton and on the rare occasions when I take him into the office with me no-one ever stares or comments. I think it is the areas that are mainly white and middle-class where the old ladies have perhaps had very little exposure to different cultures or any different way of doing things. This is the charitable explanation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->