Back pain/ old whiplash injury

J.D.

Reaction score
Hi

I know that there can be some back pain (muscular) in early pregnancy, but by the end of the work day, I'm in bits. If I can't get a lift home and have to walk, I'm in tears by the time I step through my door. :cry:

I'm pretty sure it's the pregnancy irritating my old whiplash injury (I was in a terrible car accident 8 years ago).

Has anyone found a way to soothe this? I'm on my feet all day at work, and my car died yesterday, so I have to walk there and back most days (that's about 25 minutes each way, so it's not a long walk).

Hi J.D, (and anyone who can help)

I'm hoping your still a member of this forum. I stumbled across this Post whilst scowering the internet for any help possible. My Girlfriend is now 33 weeks pregnant and she is suffering from what seems to be a similar problem to yours. Before falling pregnant she was fine and had no problems. like yourself she had an accident around 8 years previously.

What started as possibly 1 paracetamol every now and the in the first trimester has now escalated into fullblown spasms which will not allow her to sleep more than an hour at a time. We are up to 8 Paracetemol and 1 or 2 Codeine a day. Every night results in floods of tears, panic attacks from pain and stress of pain killers effecting the baby. I have frankly never seen a human in so much pain in my life.

Basically (sorry for the rant) did you ever find any sort of relief for this at all? We are at our wits end and the doctors just want to throw stronger drugs at her.

Thanks,
Sean

Sean, have they ever mentioned anything to your partner about a possible trapped nerve? has she been offered a bump support? I was given one when pregnant with DS2 which supported my back and bump.. x

Hi Sethsmummy,

She has been seeing a private chiropractor for the last 6 months and I've never heard of a bump support. She seems to suffer most when the muscles in her neck relax at night or after periods of lying down for more than a few hours so I didn't expect a bump support to help.

It may be worth looking into then. We are willing to try anything at this point.

Sorry for the ignorance but what does DS2 mean?

Thanks,
Sean

aww im sorry shes suffering so much pain.

The support i had was quite hard and stiff at the back and it had 3 velcro straps that came over the front (they were quite wide) one went under my bump, one over and the other above so it 100% took the weight of my bump away from my back and hips. Its defenitely worth a try. I was given mine through physiotherapy. Does she lie on her back or side at night hun?

DS2 = Darling Son 2 :)

She lies on her sides, her left side predominantly.

We've tried a memory foam pillow to see if that helps. I will speak to her about the Bump support. Thank you very much for your help :)

Oh Sean, I'm so sorry to hear about her pain. First, try and find a physio. Chiropractors can be good, but many of them are quacks. And if yours has never mentioned a support, I'd be really suspicious.

I was given a support belt and crutches by the end of my pregnancy. I spent the last month house-bound, able to amble to shop -- mercifully located across the street from our house -- once every couple days thanks to the crutches.

Honestly, go for the strong painkillers. Your baby is very close to fully formed and the crucial developmental period is past. You may want to push for an early induction if she can't take it anymore (many doctors will induce for severe pain after 37 weeks).

I spent a lot of time stressing over painkillers and my steroids for asthma and everything, but the baby came out perfect. I'm sure yours will too.

I take it she's having lots of warm baths/showers? I found those did the most of anything. I could sit in the bath for hours (I had a waterproof phone!)

Hi J.D,

Thanks for getting back in touch. It seems that you did go through almost the exact same thing with your pregnancy.

My Girlfriend was seeing a Chiropractor who was actually very good, but previously she was also seeing a Physio. The Chiro actually admitted that he wasn't able to help much due to the softening of her ligaments and could only offer massages to try ease pain. We've now seen a range of GPs/Pediatricians, Chiros, Midwifes, Physios, consultants and none have recommended a Bump support.

Like you, my girlfriend seems to find most respite from long baths and showers. Often at 3am.

For my Girlfriend I think the most difficult part is not actually the pain but more the sleep deprivation.

Oh well, only the home straight to go now :)

Thank you both so much for your help! :thumbup:

I loved those 4am baths, I did. But seriously, consider the stronger pain killers. The doctors aren't interested in giving you anything that will harm the baby. A lot of pain killers are no-nos because they're untested (and they cannot be tested on pregnant women), but doctors will only recommend ones with a significant history of no complications (remember, pregnant women can have surgery, broken limbs, etc, so pain killers are given regularly enough!).

And try and enjoy the rest of it. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->