Back to back at 38 weeks

Miss Wright

Mummy to Dylan
Reaction score
So I had my 38 week appointment today and the baby's now back to back :dohh: Has anyone had this happen to them?
Is it likely that it will turn back on it's own?
Has anyone given birth to a baby that was back to back and did it make the labour harder/ more painful/ longer??
Lots of questions, sorry! Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks ladies x

Get on your hands and knees lots and lots! They can turn, actually I was reading an article the other day that said that most babies that are born back to back turn during labour, so even if bubs is right way round at labour they can still go back to back.

Have a look at this website:

https://www.spinningbabies.com/

yep hands and knees position for 20 - 30 min a day is supposed to help - I've started doing it now because I don't know what position my LO is in so figured it wouldn't hurt :D

Thanks, I have bought one of those balls to bounce on as well! Supposedly sitting on one of them is better than slumping on the sofa x

My baby was back to back, i did the rocking on all fours and was also told to bounce on my birthing ball lots, did it all and in the end i was induced at 2 wks overdue and although she had turned a little was still mainly back to back. I had an epidural but before being administered all my contractions were in my back because of her being back to back so this is likely. Soz cant tell u if it makes labour longer etc as i was induced. Kx

Oh also was told to lie on my side as much as possible and not on my back (had terrible sciatica so couldnt lie on my back anyway) but give that a go too, when your lying on the couch or in bed Kx

My baby was back to back, i did the rocking on all fours and was also told to bounce on my birthing ball lots, did it all and in the end i was induced at 2 wks overdue and although she had turned a little was still mainly back to back. I had an epidural but before being administered all my contractions were in my back because of her being back to back so this is likely. Soz cant tell u if it makes labour longer etc as i was induced. Kx

Thank you - do you know if the baby being back to back had anything to do with you going over due?
Sorry I should have asked all these questions to the midwife but my mind always goes blank when I'm in there :blush:

I've had my 39 week appointment today at 39+4 and discovered that LO has decided to go back to back!!!

So, have spent this afternoon lying prone on all fours over a pile of cushions waggling my bum in the air and am now sitting straddling a dining room chair so I'm leaning forward. The joys!!!

My daughter was back 2 back and born that way and I needed episiotomy but wasnt bad labour only lasted about 6 hrs. This ones been back 2 back all way and doesnt look like going to change, midwife says my bodys obviously comfy that way and im not worried.

My daughter was back 2 back and born that way and I needed episiotomy but wasnt bad labour only lasted about 6 hrs. This ones been back 2 back all way and doesnt look like going to change, midwife says my bodys obviously comfy that way and im not worried.

Priddy, did you get to move a lot during labour with your daughter as have read that lots of movement helps with back to backs?

Thank you - do you know if the baby being back to back had anything to do with you going over due?
Sorry I should have asked all these questions to the midwife but my mind always goes blank when I'm in there :blush:

No one ever told me it had anything to do with going overdue and tbh in myself i dont think so either, didnt feel like anything was going to happen and nothing did, think if your going to go over your going to go over. Hope your little one behaves lol Kx

Also forgot to say that i was almost at the pushing stage when my consultant decided to try and turn baby inside and was succesful so i had a normal delivery so doesnt always mean that it will make delivery more difficult and because i had an epi felt nothing when the consultant turned her Kx

No was permanantly monitored with my labour has had previous stillbirth so was just laid on bed im afraid. Know things have moved on since then with monitoring so hoping to be able to this time.

The best thing to do is get bouncing, spend time on all fours and scrub the floors lol. There's a chance baby won't turn, my little one didn't although she tried in labour so I was in labour for quite a long time with back pain as she tried to rotate.
She ended up being a good weight (9lbs 3oz)which may have prevented her from turning, but she was born in the OP position, safe and sound without so much as a scratch on me (her head was a bit of a funny shape though), lol.

HI, my little boy was back to back but no one decided to tell me until i was 4cm! No wonder all my pain was in my back! I was waiting for the pain in my stomach, as my mom had described but it was ALL in my back. I'm sorry to say that my labour lasted 3 days, had to have my waters popped at 5cm as i'd been there for a good 5-6 hours (after being in labour a previous 48ish), and eventually had my little boy 4 hours later. It was very painful but i can't handle pain very well, kept blacking out but he was very healthy and happy. No problems,no jaundice just popped straight out. Everybody's labour is different, i'd just say expect the majority of your pain to be in your back.
All the while i was labouring i walked around and bounced on the balls, if i'd have know sooner it may have made a difference to how he was positioned.
Keep at it and hope your LO turns.
(please don't use too much of my experience as something to go on, yours mat be completely different!)
Good Luck x x x x

My baby was back to back and not engaged at all at 40 weeks! I was told to sit leaning forward and never lean back or slump. It worked, she turned.

And yes I have read that it can make you more likely to go overdue, I went into natural labour at 41+1.

Thanks all, I've been trying to spend as much time on the ball as possible. I won't know now if the baby has turned or not as I don't see the midwife again till my due date. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best. I'm having a sweep on my due date if nothing happened by then. Eeek - I'm glad there is Christmas to provide a distraction because babies and labour are ALL I think about these days :) x

my baby was back to back at 38 weeks but is back to normal again so it can move, MW said to try lean forward, dont lay back on settee as such or lay on your side and baby can move like min did x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->