Back to back baby ... More painful?

nicksi27

Reaction score
Hi ladies have any of you ever given birth to a back to back baby? I've read its more painful and I'm getting nervous. I'm being induced at 38 weeks so I know he might turn but wanna be prepared if he doesn't. I'm on rest at home I can't work or drive and wonder if this is why he's back to back (I spend most of the day lounging on the sofa).

My babys measuring big. He was 7lb2 at 35 weeks and his measurements are all >95th centile. Getting very worried about how I'm gonna manage to push him out but I'm sure everyone has this worry :/

Anyone got any experience of this?

Me.....my daughter was a large baby 9,6 1/2oz and she was also back to back. The labour was most definitely pAinful, not all the way through but towards the end when she was nearing delivery the back pain was excruciating. I did end up with forceps and shoulder dys but that's a possibility that it resulted from the forceps or also the active pushing without the urge argh! 😁 However baby's do rotate in labour so I wouldn't worry that yours is back to back at present as baby could well rotate. If baby stays back to back then my tip would be to get someone to put a lot of pressure on your lower back whilst contracting and massage using firm pressure, it really helps. Also don't lie on your back and aim to deliver on all fours. As for the size I wouldn't worry :) most women make baby's to the size of their pelvis and so should be able to deliver well. Good luck you'll be great :) xx

My son was back to back. I won't lie, it was very sore. The pain was all in my back which made it very intense. It was my only labour so far so I can't tell if it is more painful than normal labour.

He was 8lbs 11 so not a small boy! I managed on gas and air only so it couldn't have been that bad. I think the MW said it normally made labour slower, so I'm hoping this baby cooperates!

I wouldn't worry about it, you will manage just fine.

Good luck.

I'm wondering this too! My bubba is back to back! Been trying to encourage it round but with no luck! I'm hoping it will decide soon.

Hope all goes well for you lovely.

Xxx

My first baby was back to back, although she turned at some point in labour. But I never felt any contractions in my bump at all, it was all in my back. Nothing else to compare it to, but I had a homebirth with no pain relief so it was manageable. As the others have said babies often turn in labour, but also this site might be worth a look if you want to try and encourage him to turn:

https://www.spinningbabies.com

Also all my measurements pointed to having a huge baby too, they were all over the 99th percentile - but she was only 8 and a half pounds - big, but not that big!

Good luck, you will be fine!

My first baby was back to back, although she turned at some point in labour. But I never felt any contractions in my bump at all, it was all in my back. Nothing else to compare it to, but I had a homebirth with no pain relief so it was manageable. As the others have said babies often turn in labour, but also this site might be worth a look if you want to try and encourage him to turn:

https://www.spinningbabies.com

Also all my measurements pointed to having a huge baby too, they were all over the 99th percentile - but she was only 8 and a half pounds - big, but not that big!

Good luck, you will be fine!

This! My DD was back to back. She turned at some point between 6cm and delivery. I didn't have any pain relief but she was my first so nothing to compare.

I also measured 4 weeks ahead pretty consistently and the estimated a 'very big' baby at full term. She was 8lb 1/2oz at 42 weeks ( was induced).

You'll do great!x

Both of mine were back to back. DS was 9lb 15 oz, DD was 8lb. Both deliveries were great :). I had gas and air (from 7cm with DS, 8cm with DD), and used the pool with DD (couldn't use it with DS as I had to be on my back for constant monitoring). The water felt so good with the back contractions! Pushing on my back was sore, but manageable.
Try not to worry, if LO doesn't turn it doesn't automatically mean a horrible labour!

With my first I was also induced and my DS was a back to back and I managed in labour with just gas and air. I had to lie on my back as well due to having him constantly monitored. I just found a comfortable position and went with it. To this day it didn't seem that long a labour and DS was 8lb 7.

I was always told that back to back labours are usually longer but it seemed as though it was over in the blink of an eye.

Have a feeling that this next one will be a back to back too

xx

I had back to back and honestly apart from issues with her delivering, we had to have forceps I didn't find it painful at all. I spent the whole 6 hrs of labour on all fours rocking side to side with a hot water bottle on my back lol and that was all. A few times I tried to lie down to rest and that's when it got really painful, but I've had period pains worse than it.

I too heard that back to back is supposed be more painful and longer, and I had a relative quick labour. I'm sure it would of been quicker if she hadnt got stuck, but it was honestly a pleasant experience, the whole thing was.

I've had 3 labours using no pain relief and my last was a back to back and I can definitely say from my experience anyway that my last labour was by far my worst ! The pain in my back was really terrible and nothing eased it, I had very little pain in my front or maybe I did but didn't feel it as the pain in my back was so sore.. You have plenty of time yet though for baby to turn and as others have said a lot of babies turn in labour so try not to worry. Xx

This has been my main worry this pregnancy. The baby has changed from back to back to anterior a few times. The Braxton Hicks when the baby was B2B were excruciating, honestly. I've given birth three times and never cried but those BH's had me in tears. It was waves of pain throbbing up my back and was awful. It felt like my bones were being stretched or something!
I bounced on my ball and changed the way I was sitting etc and baby is anterior again now. If the BH's are like that with a posterior baby, I can't imagine what the labour must be like and you ladies that have done it are bloody heroes!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->