Back to back vs. Anterior labour - contraction question

NotNic

Mummy to 2 boys xx
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if they've experienced both types of labours how their contractions compared?

I've had contractions in front of my bump for my first, back labor with my second, and front with my third... Front labor is way less painful than back labor... I thought I would never get through... I was completely against an epidural but had no other choice as the back labor is the worst kind of pain I have ever experienced... Unforgettable.. I really hope I don't get it this time around.

Laylagirl, you give me hope! The way you describe back labour is exactly how I felt labouring with my son. Unforgettable and indescribable pain (even the word pain sounds way too tame!).

Stalking this post :) I've been wondering the same thing as my first was back to back, opted for an epidural (I would highly recommend, it was amazing and gave ne dome much needed rest!) after two days slow labour.

Well my baby boy is currently back to back, so I've been worried about this, but when I was born (I was born back to back) my mom said she just had extra pain in her back also.. And infact she found my sisters birth worse than mine (she was born with the sac intact!) oh and my mom did just gas and air! No epidural!

So she gave me a little hope on how my possible back to back labour will go!

Obviously it will be more intense with different pressures in your back.. But maybe not nessarcarily too bad.. I'm hoping!!!

I had back labor with my first, and it was the worst I've expereinced. I only had an epidural with my 4th, and that was only because I wasn't dilating enough, so I got it to relax my body. I was also induced each time. Back labor was by far the worst.

Thanks. I had back labour with my first. I'm not going to say it was pain free, but I did find it doable and managed to labour on just g+a and in the pool for 18hrs. The little wotsit got stuck so I ended up with a spinal in theatre for my efforts! Brightxeyes it doesn't have to be horrific. I think most back to backs tend to be long deliveries and thats the tough bit.

For the ladies who had both did the sensation of the contractions differ, or just where the pain was?

I had back labour with my first baby and the pain was unbearable for me, it slowed my labour down too. I'm really hoping this one doesn't go the same way.

This tread is making me feel better! I had back to back with my daughter who got stuck on my coccyx (I have an old coccyx injury). That said I went in at 5cm and had her within 3 hours so back to back aren't always a slow labour. She was 8lbs 12.5oz and arrived before the anesthetist so had her on just gas and air. Don't get me wrong it hurt a lot as I was determined not to have an epidural but caved in, the labour was just too quick.

At the moment this ones the right way around. Fingers crossed it stays that way, but I've been told this week this ones looking like a 9lber! x

With laboring in the front of my bump, the contractions were hard and sharp....but with the back, the pain literally vibrated from one end to the other....as I said before it was horrendous.... They came in waves and seemed to last forever with each one..

Thanks Layla. I know mine sort of radiated out, in an almost burning sensation. With this baby every sensation / cramp I'm questioning as Im not sure it will feel like it did before. Last time my waters went first, so prior to that I didn't really suspect any pain and just wrote things of as backache or bhs. I also tend to have really light periods and almost no period pains, so when people describe early contractions as that, it doesn't mean anything to me!

Really reassuring in a weird way to read everyone else's experiences.
My daughter was back to back, I made extremely slow progress and ended up having an epidural after 27 hours active labour down to sheer exhaustion and the pain just being so horrendous after so long. Once I had the epidural I dilated very fast; just helped me to relax.
I'm so hoping this time it's more straightforward and I can manage without having to have an epidural.

Thanks Layla. I know mine sort of radiated out, in an almost burning sensation. With this baby every sensation / cramp I'm questioning as Im not sure it will feel like it did before. Last time my waters went first, so prior to that I didn't really suspect any pain and just wrote things of as backache or bhs. I also tend to have really light periods and almost no period pains, so when people describe early contractions as that, it doesn't mean anything to me!

I've never had braxton hicks with any of my pregnancies....and if I did, I never felt them, but this time, I'm Definitely feeling them... Not too painful, but enough to know they're there... They don't last long, just a little at night:..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->