Bacteria in milk powder?

Cheesepuff

Reaction score
This whole making up the bottles is so confusing ! I have been exclusively BF Alex since birth, but have started weaning him onto the bottle in the past couple of weeks. He likes his bottles finally, but I am so confused regarding the method of making them...

I read somewhere that you need to add the poder in 30 mins after boiling so that the water kills any bacteria present in the milk?? Gee, if that is true, then I have been making his bottles all wrong :( So, is this ok what I have been doing:
- Boil the kettle - if heading out, add to the sterlised bottle & stick to the insulating bag. When feed is needed, add milk powder & serve. (heat up if water has gone too cold)
- Boil the kettle (if at home), add to the sterlised bottles & leave on the kitchen counter. Add powder when needed and serve heated up.

Should I start storing the bottles in the fridge? How do you do the bottles when you're out & about for the day?

See, now I usually make it up with the boiling water then cool in the sink. I am of the opinion that the water left in the kettle will have more germs than in a bottle.

im with abz

tbh now luisa only has 3 bottles a day i usually use ready made..

but when she was having 6 a day i used powder tend to make all the bottles up as directed on box, cool in cold water and put in the fridge then heat up as neaded...

I boil the kettle leave 20 mins then add to a thermos so its the right temp for making a bottle up and feeding, might need a little cooling x

Dont worry about what u have already been doing as these guidelines are new and it didnt hurt my 10 yr to make the milk up like that ...But yes the guidelines are now what u have said but i agree with the others bottles better then kettle costhey are sterile xx

with ern we have started to make them as we need them-not because we are following these ridiculous guidelines but because he is soooooo impatient he goes from 'hmm i think im hungry' to screaming the place down in 30 seconds flat so it is quicker to warm the water in the kettle ,pour it in the bottle, add the powder and feed him rather than to boil the kettle and warm the bottle in a jug of hot water!!

All 5 of my other ones i always made up enough bottles for the day and stored them in the fridge and warmed them when i needed one-and they are all fit and healthy!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->