"Bacteria normal in pregnancy"?

Wtbam

Reaction score
Hi Ladies

I was wondering if someone could help me.

I have had thrush/BV symptoms for nearly 2 weeks now (redness, soreness, itching and a nasty smelling discharge). After talking to the community midwife, she told me to go to the dr.

I went to the GP last Friday who examined me and did swabs.

I am 11 weeks pregnant.

I have been chasing the results all week, and been treating the symptoms with caneston external cream which seems to help a little.

The dr receptionist rang me today and said "The doctor says that half the results are back, and they show that you have a bacteria present which is normal in pregnancy, so you need to ask the midwife to sort it".

I'm a little concerned about being passed about (the midwife can't prescribe anything) and don't know what this bacteria could be - I asked but they couldn't tell me).

Can anyone shed any light?

Im not sure. But i dont know how professional it is for receptionist to be giving results on the phone. Shouldnt that be the drs job? You clearly have questions that a receptionist is unable to answer and the gp wouldve been able to answer. Bit miffed on your behalf!

On another note it may require a cream that the midwife is able to give or maybe shes a midwife prescriber?

Hmm not sure but could you leave a message for your doctor to call you back with more info?

Finally just had a call back from the Dr, it is group b strep :(

Oh no! Does that mean they can give you antibiotics or what?

Be thankful they found it
As its not routinely tested for. It means they will give anti biotics in labour so you don't pass it onto baby 💗

I had group b strep early in my last pregnancy. I was lucky to be seeing a gynaecologist at the time and she said that although it doesn't normally get treated before labour, because it's so early and I was having symptoms, it would be. Was given a pregnancy safe antibiotic and it did clear up. If your symptoms bother you, don't let them send you away with nothing!

There are also natural things you can do to help but it probably won't clear without an antibiotic, strep b is agressive.

If they're still saying your midwife should sort it, I would honestly find a new GP. I was with a very dismissive GP for years and just thought it was the system and normal. But then I moved and my new go is amazing and actually wants to make sure everything is ok. It's not right that they'd leave you to worry while pregnant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->