Bacterial vaginosis and preterm labor? Help!

SaraSmiles13

Reaction score
So I was having lots of discharge during my pregnancy that I attributed to normal pregnancy stuff. It gradually got worse (i had pink spotting) so at my 33w check up I mentioned it to my doc who started me on antibiotics. The antibiotics worked well and the discharge stopped. Also at my appointment doc said my cervix was soft and baby was very low. I'm now freaking out wondering how long I had BV before getting it treated and if it caused my cervix to soften. Will treating the infection so late in pregnancy still prevent preterm labor or delivery? Or is it too late? In freaking out! This is my second baby and doc doesn't think is make it to 40 weeks based on my soft cervix and baby's low position, so that doesn't ease my worrying!

I honestly don't have a clue but I wanted to give you :hugs: It sucks not knowing and I really hope little one holds on and stays in for a few more weeks at least. It could have nothing to do with the BV and you were just going into labor early no matter what or it could have played a part in it. Wish I could be more helpful!

Ahh try not to worry too much. Some people start dilating early or have very soft cervix and they still go overdue so don't worry too much. That said you are 33/34 weeks now so if worst case scenario and you went into early labour they would give you a couple of steroid shots for baby's lungs and chances are baby would have a short stay in hospital and be absolutely fine. So just try and relax as much as you can xx

My cervix always starts to soften around 30 weeks. By 35 weeks I typically start dilating. It doesn't mean a thing though. I didn't give birth to my first and third until close to my due date even though I was walking around 3-4 cm for like 2 weeks prior to giving birth to them. With my last baby, I didn't even start dilating until I was already in established labor (he was a bit premature and the hospital was very good about taking care of him) so really it can vary. I'd say that the only thing it tells you is that your chance of a quick labor is highly likely.

Try not to worry. With my first I was 4cm dilated for 3 weeks before I actually went into labour so the cervix softening doesn’t necessarily mean you will go preterm. At least you’ve had the treatment for BV so you’ve done all you can the rest is up to your body :)

I don't know officially but can only tell you my experience.

I had asymptomatic BV when I had my daughter which was discovered when they swabbed me looking for a cause for a secondary PPH. I went into labour on my due date and DD was absolutely perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->