Bad morning sickness or something more?

sherwood

Reaction score
Hello!

Firstly, I'm very sorry for posting a thread about morning sickness when there are probably a million and one already. However, I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I'm exactly eight weeks pregnant with my first baby, and thus far I've had it pretty easy. I've had the odd bit of nausea from week 6 onwards, but I've only been sick a handful of times and haven't had trouble keeping food down.

All of that changed this morning. I've been violently sick over thirty times today. I felt queasy on my commute this morning (I work full time and commute via train) bit when I got to work today, it just hit relentlessly. I stuck it out until half 2 but threw up over twenty times while I was there. I came home (no idea how I managed not to be sick on the train) and have spent the rest of the day alternating between throwing up and sleeping.

It's awful because I'm dehydrated, but I literally can't keep anything down. Dry crackers, cereal, even water: everything comes right back up. :nope:

I'm starting to wonder if I might actually be ill. It's probably wishful thinking, but the things that make me wonder if it could be something else are:

* How suddenly it's intensified
* I also have quite nasty diarrhoea, which I haven't had so far with my queasiness

If you were in my position, would you go to the doctor? If it was anything else, I'd try to man up, but I suffer from mild emetophobia so every episode of vomiting comes with a panic attack.

(I should add, I don't have a midwife yet as they can't fit me in for a booking appointment until I'm 11.5 weeks gone!)

Sounds like either food poisoning or maaaaybe HG - but it hit you so suddenly I'm not sure that's it.

Either way, a visit to the doctor is important in order to make sure you get fluids and to figure out what may be going on.

I was just like this when I was pregnant with my twins...committing every 3 hours and when I drink water it made it worse..threw up fluids plus solid until nothing but stomach acid was coming up which want good. Was scared to eat due to vomiting so didn't eat much actually lost 6lbs that first trimester. Once 12wks had hit it did subside. If i was you I would go to my doctor to make sure it's nothing other then MS and mention dehydration for interception of fluids maybe....maybe this will get you In before 11 wks.

Ouch, that sounds nasty. Does sound possibly more like a bug but ms can start at any time I suppose. Throwing up 30 times and diarrhoea puts you at high risk for dehydration which is not good. I'd keep a very close eye on yourself and I'd personally probably consult a doctor if you are sick again. Better to be safe especially in pregnancy. They may just say to sit it out for a bit longer but equally they might tell you to get to hospital for some fluids. But it doesn't hurt to check with them either way!

I really hope you feel much better soon!

Thanks very much for your replies – I continued to feel horribly ill all night but I'm managing to keep water down this morning. I feel slightly better, but very weak.

I'm now suspecting it may be Norovirus, as my hubby has since confessed it's been going round his workplace. It would make sense with the sudden onset and the symptoms.

I'll give my doctor a call this morning and ask what I can take for it, and when I should be worried about dehydration etc.

Never thought I'd actually be relieved to have suspected stomach flu!

Thanks very much for your replies – I continued to feel horribly ill all night but I'm managing to keep water down this morning. I feel slightly better, but very weak.

I'm now suspecting it may be Norovirus, as my hubby has since confessed it's been going round his workplace. It would make sense with the sudden onset and the symptoms.

I'll give my doctor a call this morning and ask what I can take for it, and when I should be worried about dehydration etc.

Never thought I'd actually be relieved to have suspected stomach flu!

Hi sherwood... My nausea hit suddenly too and was a lot like yours.. Throwing up even water accompanied by diarrhea. I called the regular helpline who said stomach flu is going around and wasnt too concerned. Later i called the midwife who asked me to book an appointment with the emergency ward... Do you have any such option? Honestly even if you have to force them i suggest going to the doctor to get tested and not just calling. All my tests came back negative meaning i had severe nausea all of a sudden and not any flu, and they prescribed anti nausea medicine, and also a solution to keep me hydrated. So i really suggest getting tested before you assume its a stomach bug.... Some foods can cause a reaction even if its not a bug but id prefer to be safe rather than sorry. Gl and hope you feel better soon!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->