Bad news ...stuck in limbo

nicksi27

Reaction score
Hi ladies I went for a scan today at what I thought was 6+0. Straight away on pelvic ultrasound she said I don't see anything and would have to do a vaginal scan. She said she could see a yolk sac and at 6 weeks she should see a baby forming. I started crying and she said it's a strange scan so I'm going to get a 2nd opinion. She told me to empty my bladder and then did the vaginal scan again and straight away they saw a yolk sac, fetal pole and what they thought to be the pulsations of a heartbeat but couldn't be sure.

I'm devastated because I know my dates. My lmp was 14th July and I had sex once on 28th July (I think I ovulate two days later).

She's put me at 5 weeks and I know I can't be 5 weeks. I'm gutted. I have to wait 2 weeks for a repeat scan and she's classed this scan as inconclusive of miscarriage.

So confused and upset. Either way if there was a hb it's not growing at the right rate is it. Totally lost all hope now. 😢

Sorry that you are on this emotional roller coaster its no fun at all!

Generally how long are your cycles?

I'm so sorry! It's bad enough to get the definite negative news but to get a 'we're not sure'; how horrible! I've never heard of anything like this before. Hope you get good news in two weeks!

I'm just thinking if you had sex on 7/28 and ovulated 7/30 then around 8/9 would have put you at 10dpo. So technically you are around 5weeks 6 days. I can't believe they couldn't figure out if they saw a heartbeat or not thats insane. Can they run your betas and see if the numbers give you a better indication?

That sounds right on track for 6 weeks- you wouldn't see a hb at 5 weeks so I'm not sure why she said that to you? At 5 weeks you would typically see just an empty sac. X

I had a scan at 6 weeks although I was more like 5+3/4 and we saw a yolk sac. I was told this is perfectly normal and I was measuring behind too. All totally normal this early. I then had an emergency scan (spotting) at 7 weeks, more like 6+3/4 and we saw bubs with a heartbeat. Again, I was measuring behind at 6 weeks but I was told to not take any notice of the measurements this early as they are often a week out because bubs is curled up so it's almost impossible to be accurate. I would try not to worry, it seems the doc was a bit harsh with you, you should have been reassured. Fx you'll see a big bouncing bubba in a couple of weeks. Xx

Just noticed you're in the north east, I am too. Where did you go for the scan if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you ladies ....I'm just in a world of panic now I can't imagine waiting 2 weeks like this. She said she thought she could see a pulsating heart that's what keeps sticking in my head. I noticed a measurement of 2.4mm and I've just Googled it and I think a fetus at 6 weeks should be more like 4mm. I lost my first baby at 20+4 and it was confirmed on ultrasound and the lady scanning today was the same lady. When I saw her I just burst into tears. X

All we saw on our 6 week scan this pregnancy and last was a gestational sack, nothing more, no yoke sack, no pole, nothing. All turned out ok though both times. My dd is 11 months now and I'm 28 weeks with a little boy. Not sure why they would scare you like that? Seems odd. What you saw is on track for dates. Good luck for your next scan! Try not to worry.

If you look of different website/apps/books you'll get different measurements! Bubs measured around 5mm on my 7 week scan and I was told at the hospital that it's bang on 6w. But then my apps say different! I've also seen lots of women on here who had multiple early scans and they were behind, then ahead, then behind, the exactly where they expected to be by 12 weeks. I know how hard it is not to freak out after a mc, my first pregnancy was a MMC. This time I've booked 3 private scans to help with my nerves. Have you looked into any private clinics near you? Maybe you could book one for next week if you think it would help.

There is always hope. I have heard of babies starting out growing slow and catching up down the road. Additionally, ANYTHING is possible. A slight variation in your cycle or ovulation day (unless confirmed with OPK). There is always hope! Hang on to it!

Thinking the best for you!

I ovulated on July 30th and I'm 5 weeks 6 days today. It's common for the dates to be off a little this early on.

Thank you ladies ....I'm just in a world of panic now I can't imagine waiting 2 weeks like this. She said she thought she could see a pulsating heart that's what keeps sticking in my head. I noticed a measurement of 2.4mm and I've just Googled it and I think a fetus at 6 weeks should be more like 4mm. I lost my first baby at 20+4 and it was confirmed on ultrasound and the lady scanning today was the same lady. When I saw her I just burst into tears. X

Massive hugs hun, ive been in that position too and it's a terrible feeling going for scans especially when it's a familiar room/sonographer. I really hope everything turns out ok for you x

With this pregnancy I had a scan at 5w6d. (This date was correct and has been backed up numerous times at ultrasounds.) The only thing we saw was an empty sac. No yolk, no fetal pole, and certainly no heartbeat. The tech didn't seem concerned, though I worried after reading about other people seeing more. I'm now 26 weeks pregnant.

After my experience, I can safely say that at 6 weeks the range of what you might see in a normal pregnancy varies widely. If your tech saw a gestational sac, yolk sac, and fetal pole-- then there is no way you could be 5 weeks. Please try not to worry. It sounds like she's confused, to be honest.

With this pregnancy I had a scan at 5w6d. The only thing we saw was an empty sac. No yolk, no fetal pole, and certainly no heartbeat. The tech didn't seem concerned, though I worried after reading about other people seeing more. I'm now 26 weeks pregnant. I can safely say that at 6 weeks the range of what you might see in a normal pregnancy varies widely.

If your tech saw a gestational sac, yolk sac, and fetal pole-- then there is no way you could be 5 weeks. Please try not to worry. It sounds like she's confused, to be honest.
Thank you so much. To be honest I'm thinking she wasn't the best either. At first she was going to send me home then said I'll get a 2nd opinion. When I'd been for a wee and the other tech came in she seemed a little confused and said oh it's much clearer now she's emptied her bladder. The 2nd tech pointed out fetal pole (just looked like a circle and a white thicker line)and yolk sac then they both said they saw a flickering when she was moving the uss around. SO seeing all this at the end she said I'm gonna say you're 4-5 weeks I'll put 5 weeks. Im assuming u wouldnt see a pole and even a possible hb at 4-5 weeks. Roll on repeat scan in 2 weeks X

I had a scan at 6+4 from lmp (5+4 from ov) and all we saw was a small sac and yolk. I'm 10+5 now and all is well. A few days can make such a difference and you saw a fetal pole! Fingers crossed for you hun xx

We had a scan at 6 weeks 3 days with my first and we could see a gestational sac, yolk sac, and teeny tiny fetal pole measuring 5 weeks 5 days. Just like in your case, they could see a little heartbeat flicker, but couldn't hear it. Yours actually sounds pretty typical of a six week scan to me. When it's that tiny, they have a lot of trouble getting the measurements right, and that can put it off by days. I have a lot of hope for you that everything is just fine!

And you definitely wouldn't see a little HB at 4-5 weeks! Cardiac activity doesn't really get started until week 5 and then it's too small to see for a few days. Sounds to me like you're right on track at about 6 weeks.

With this one I had a scan at 6wks based on ovulation and they could only see a sac and no fetal pole, it measured about 5 and a half weeks. Then I had a scan 5 days later which was 6wk 2d but 4 days behind my dates. I have just had a scan today and bubs has caught up and grown a few extra days so I'm measuring 3 days over!!

Those early scans can very so much so please don't worry too much :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->