Bad period pains. Scared of pain threshold

What a great thread, I know I hated period pains and was starting to get a little freaked out. Every week I read how big my baby is getting and it scares the crap out of me!

My oh is always going on about we go about labour all wrong in the modern world and how women used to stand or sit on a birthing stool rather than lying down. He reckons its must easier that way as gravity helps and bearing down has more of an effect.

I have no idea how much truth is in it but its interesting to think about!

Thanks everyone for replying. I don't feel like I am the only one worrying and there have been a few excellent suggestions.

My oh is always going on about we go about labour all wrong in the modern world and how women used to stand or sit on a birthing stool rather than lying down. He reckons its must easier that way as gravity helps and bearing down has more of an effect.

I have no idea how much truth is in it but its interesting to think about!

It is very true! It was not until a few hundred years ago that it was even conceivable that women lie down during labor.

The idea that women should lie down has NOTHING to do with the woman's comfort. It's a learned habit. In fact in studies where women are encouraged to follow their bodies they very rarely lie down. Lying flat on the back is extremely cultural. Michael Odent talks about this a lot.

Lying flat on the back bcame popular when King Lous (XIV???) wanted his ladies to lie down flat so he could watch the babies came out. It just got more popular in the West from there.

In countries that do not wish the follow the West women do not give birth flat on their backs.

Also, there is a muscle (puborectalis or something like that) that works better when the woman and people in general (in some cultures people squat when they go number 2 for this reason) perform bodily functions in the squatting position. Most of us wouldn't try to squeeze bodily excretions (if you get my drift) while lying down so why would we try when squeezing out a baby?

I worry about that a lot actually. I may have a mild form on endometriosis so my pains KILL. i often wonder if that will help me or hurt me on B-day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->