Bad reaction to prescribed iron pills?

Geo2

Reaction score
Hello, I found out that I'm very slightly anaemic and my midwife prescribed me iron pills, ferrous fumarate 210mg. Since Ive taken them I was sick, vomiting and feeling unwell, I thought I caught a bug, but I realised the sickness only started after taking a pill, so I don't think its a co-incidence now! I checked the other ingredients of the pills and saw they had sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS) which is carcinogenic and liquid paraffin! No wonder I was sick!
I have iron / vit c pills from chemist, but the amount of iron is only 14mg, and vit c 80mg. So I took 4 of them last night, and another 4 today, but not sure if the iron is an adequate amount to address my deficiency?
I think its a bank holiday tomorrow? So i'm guessing the midwife will be off, not sure how to report the bad effects and whats the alternatives that they'll offer I wonder?

I've been having the same problem, they prescribed 3 a day. I felt fine for a few days but then started feeling sick and getting diarrhea every day. I've since cut down to one a day for the last couple of days so I'm hoping it eases a bit

Are you from the uk? I would recommend speaking to your doc as they usually are the ones that write the script. There are no more bank holidays in the uk till christmas and tomorroe is a normal working day.

I think it's bank holi day in Scotland tomorrow?

My irons are low. I was preprescribed iron tablets. They really make me feel sick though so i've not been taking them. I've been taking spatone sachets instend. When pregnantnyou can have 2 a day, but they've not lifted it sufficiently for MW to be 100% happy yet. I've got another bloods on tuesday to see but no way i'm taking t h e prescribed iron tablets

Yeah it's St Andrew's day today and therefore bank holiday in Scotland tomorrow.

Maybe pop and get some liquid iron from Tesco/other supermarket it's kinder on you x

Thanks, yes bank holiday tomorrow, thanks for the conformation! I just guessed it was cuz the schools are off. Ive been eating some iron rich foods (molasses,lentils, chicken - which I dont normally eat) taking the chemist iron pills and some extra chlorella (which is rich in iron). Hoping its enough to get me feeling better!

AHh sorry didn't realise it was that in scotland x

I tried ferrous sulphate and ferrous fumarate and both of them made me really sick, to the point where I couldn't take them.
I had hb levels of 7 or 8 so they decided to give me an iron infusion which worked wonders. Not sure if they do it if your levels are only "slightly" down though!

Alot of people get sick when taking iron. For me I can handle ferrous gluconate - so I take those spaced out throughout the day.
https://www.anemia.org/patients/feature-articles/content.php?contentid=000316

is a decent article explaining the differences.

Thanks, i managed yesterday to take 1, but still felt v sick, but wasnt actually sick. Ive taken to eating steak, and lots of other iron rich foods, my levels will be checked again next week, lets hope there's some improvement!

Well on taking spatone (shop availabe iRon liquid) my levels are up to 10.4 so MW is ok. Also eating meats, spinach and liquorice. (Read up on liquorice, mixed opinion on whether it causes contracations (doesn't bother me as 40 weeks tomorrow )

Didn't know that about the liquorice! I might need to give that a go to get this baby moving. Might actually buy a box of liquorice all sorts and not just eat the pink and blue bobbly ones :haha:

i stopped taking ferrous sulfate for my iron deficiency anemia about 4 months before i found out i was pregnant. i was severely needing the medicine but the side effects of iron will cause nausea and vomiting and thats what i had. it was horrible. my iron deficiency went away almost immediately when i got pregnant and i didnt even know i was pregnant but the random high level of iron in my cbc results suggested something was up!

I've been prescribed the same tablets, 3 a day ... i was fine for a week or so then the sickness and constipation rolled in ... I've stopped taking mine and gone back to my 'pregnacare' tablets.

although i am anemic, im only slighty, so i will be speaking to my midwife in the next 3 days about it ... but i just couldnt take the side effects ...

i advise speaking to your midwife as you may just need a lower dose xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->