Bah, money and parents :(

Abz1982

Mum to 2 nutters!
Reaction score
My dad lent my OH and I money for him to do his offshore certificates - then he lent us money for furnishing our flat as we didn't qualify for help towards that.

I start maternity leave on monday, so my ext pay will be less than normal, then after that its SMP.

He asked last night for all the money to be paid back ASAP, as he is buying shares - currenly they are 80C but expected to go to $10 a share. A lot of folk at his work are doing this as they know they will rise as well, just industry they are in they all work in. One guy has remortgaged his house and bought 300k of them!!!

Now, we can pay him back, but really cant afford more than £200 a month - which is the money we were saving for later in the year when my SMP stops and I will be looking for a new job, as I am not going back FT and my job is a FT position only.

What I can see happening is that we are going to get into difficulty later, and possibly need to borrow from him again. He is going on at me to get my driving license back, and for OH to get his. I need about £400 to do that - for all the test fees, a few lessons and then the road tax and insurance on my car. Then OH who has never set foot in a car will need lessons, so about £700 for that, possibly more.

OH does have a motorbike that he is trying to sell to pay my dad back, but its a dead market at the moment :(.

I am not saying that I wont ever pay my dad back, but he wasnts this £1200 at the worst time possible! He has no mortgage, and over 40k in saving that are now in shares, so I jsut feel that he is being unfair, especially as he goes on about when he goes to the supermarket he can get my shopping in with his...........why??? I can get my own shopping, but if you want us to pay back the money ASAP then you WILL have to buy our shopping!

I understand where you are coming from completely and I would feel that this is unfair but If I were you, I would bite the bullet and try my damdest to be able to pay him back and not have to borrow again. That way he wont have you under his thumb and you wont owe him a dime. I would be a bit upset but that way he wont be able to say you owe him anything..........:hug:

I understand where you are coming from completely and I would feel that this is unfair but If I were you, I would bite the bullet and try my damdest to be able to pay him back and not have to borrow again. That way he wont have you under his thumb and you wont owe him a dime. I would be a bit upset but that way he wont be able to say you owe him anything..........:hug:

I agree :hugs:

Yeah, just Im not sure a diet of baked beans on taost is best when breast feeding :(

Is your dad a reasonable man? if so just tell him that your can only afford to pay him x amount every month. Any more then it will leave you short on money to get things for the baby. If not they pay back as much as you can but dont make yourself to skint. If he wanted the money back by a certain time he should have told you that when he gave it to you.

I have explained to him that we CAN pay him bac, but that will mean that we cant both do what we need to pass our driving tests etc, so he will have to stop hassling us about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->