Barium swallow and meal

fifi83

Reaction score
Has anybodies baby had one? my lo has one on friday and wanting to no what to expect really read a bit about it on the internet but really wanted to no how bad it is for them, i no an adult thats had one and they said its horrible. :cry:

What is it for? I had barium to check kidney function. It was horrid but that's because I wasn't allowed to pee while I was scanned. I don't remember anything horrid about drinking it. I wouldn't worry about safety, it wouldn't be done if there were contraindications in kids.

I've had one. I'm 19 though. But for me it wasn't all that bad. I have a very strong gag reflex but i honestly didn't find it that bad. I had to drink a cup full of the barium mixture for the meal. Then for the swallow i had to hold it in my mouth and not swallow it until he asked me to (not sure how this would work with a baby). It makes your mouth feel really dry and gritty so make sure you have a drink ready for them as soon as it's done. Second thing i'd make you aware of is that the barium is heavy, so don't be surprised if your baby is grouchy afterwards, it makes your stomach feel very heavy and uncomfortable. I looked about 5 months pregnant after mine. All that said, babies will need a lot less of the barium mixture i guess, although it probably still will make them feel uncomfortable. Oh, and i almost forgot, their poo will turn white and it will be very heavy!

(my barium stuff was for stomach/digestion problems to diagnose severe reflux, will prob be different depending on what it's for)

Hope that helps a little.
xx

thanks for you replys i want to try and prepare myself, am so nervous my mum comes to all her appointments with me and she is away on holiday so im on my own it will be ten times worse as phoebe screams at anyone who speaks to her. Its for reflux.

no advice but just wanted to send huge :hugs: for you and phoebe :hugs: x

i have had one due to bad tummy problems it wasnt very nice but i have tasted worse things
not sure if they would give a baby the same drink though as i cant imagine they would swallow it
hope all goes well hun

Lou
xxx

i have had one due to bad tummy problems it wasnt very nice but i have tasted worse things
not sure if they would give a baby the same drink though as i cant imagine they would swallow it
hope all goes well hun

Lou
xxx

thats what my dad said, said its really thick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrs.K2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->