Basal body temp

crazycatlady5

Reaction score
Hi ladies, how does your basal body temp work? I know it’s higher if you are pregnant and ovulation? Is it elevated when you are expecting your period too?

I think my hormones are super out of whack as I’ve spent the past 3 years either pregnant or breastfeeding so I’m just wondering if that could affect it?

The past two nights I’ve woken up boiling hot and nothing could cook me down. I was also expecting my period earlier in the week but I do tend to have longer cycles and I’m just on the mini pill so it’s not as reliable. I also have some other possible symptoms, but they could be symptoms of af on its way too. So I’m just looking for some more info on basal body temp...

I should probably take a pregnancy test, but either way I need to sort out this internal body temp at night! It’s driving me crazy!

Are you currently breastfeeding?

The way BBT works is by taking your temperature the same time every morning right after you wake up but before you move/get out of bed. You record the temp every morning (most of us use an app like fertility friend) and then look for a pattern. Your temperature should stay low before you ovulate, spike when you do ovulate, stay high in your luteal phase (aka the two-week wait), and for most people, it will drop right before/day of your period starting.

When you temp you want to make sure you have an actual BBT thermometer which picks up the small differences in temperature since they measure to the 10th of a degree. You can get a relatively cheap one online and in most stores now. You also want to make sure when you decide to start temping that you get at least 3-4 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

When I first started I was recommended the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler which really helped me out a lot. It was full of useful information that got me started.

I do want to say if you think you have a hormonal imbalance it might be worth bringing it up with your obgyn to see about testing. Also, keep in mind that not everyone ovulates on the mini pill. If you think you're pregnant then take a test or two first. You can start temping whenever you want but keep in mind you're more looking for patterns than anything when you start. Good luck!

Yes I’m still breastfeeding, my youngest won’t take a bottle. I got pregnant last time when I was breastfeeding though.

I just wonder if my hormones are off since I’ve either been pregnant, or breastfeeding, or both for over three years now....

I took a test that day that I posted this and it was negative. But I don’t know when I ovulated... I haven’t really been paying attention to that since we aren’t trying at the moment. I still haven’t got my period though, on CD 36 now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->