Batch cooking ideas.

I batch cooked for DH when I was due with DD. Thing like curry, sweet and sour chicken, chilli, bolognaise and then all he had to do was rice, wraps, couscous. I also kept things like fish fingers and a loaf of bread in the freezer and a carton of UHT milk in the cupboard just incase we were both house bound.

With this one, DH is thrilled it's Christmas as we live off 'bits' in December. So next week I will be hitting Sainsburys and Waitrose and starting to buy party food, crackers etc.

Also a bag of Quorn hot dogs are great. All you need is rolls and condiments and they can be eaten one handed.

That's the key, think of meals that can be eaten one handed!

Hadn't thought about doing that with jacket spuds as I cant stand just microwaved ones. Apparently you can do them in slow cooker too.

Throwing it out there... i'm bottle feeding. Didn't know that about breast milk though.

I'm going to try and follow slimming world which can be a faff with lots of ingredients. x

For anyone who doesn't have a slow cooker yet, I can't say enough good things about our Ninja. It sears and does stovetop in addition to just slowcooking, so you only need one pot for just about any recipe, and the cookbook it came with has some good quick meals in it. And since it's all metal, you can't accidentally drop the crock and crack it taking it out of the cabinet like we tend to do... We got ours on sale at Costco for less than it usually goes on Amazon - maybe there will be a good Black Friday deal somewhere for those in the US. https://www.ninjakitchen.com/ninja-cooking-system/

I'm planning to freeze meals, but I'm not sure exactly what yet. I'm going to have a couple freezer meal days with a friend a month or two before I'm due.

Rather than go to the trouble of making something like lasagna or enchiladas, I usually do a baked penne (just double the sauce you'd use if you were eating it fresh - I do two jars to a box of pasta, add in a little sliced sausage or cooked ground beef, and some little scattered spoonfulls of ricotta, then top with mozzarella and bake), or enchilada casserole (tortillas, cheese, beans, leftover taco meat, and a few cans of enchilada sauce, layered like lasagna). Both can be varied according to your tastes. I haven't tried freezing either, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I'll probably also freeze some sides (au gratin potatoes, maybe I'll see how mashed potatoes freeze), and make sure I have some of the frozen rice from Trader Joe's. I believe they do other frozen grains, too, and they just take a few minutes in the microwave. And I'll cook up some ground beef with various seasonings and maybe some sausage for dishes like tacos or spaghetti.

Soups are supposed to freeze well, too. I'll probably make a couple hearty soups and stews, and maybe double my New Years Day Hoppin' John and freeze the leftovers.

And then I'll prep some slow cooker meals in gallon ziplocks so I can just toss them into the Ninja in the morning, and I'll make sure I have the dry and frozen ingredients for some of the half hour Ninja meals.

Hopefully that will get us through until we regain sanity and are able to think about cooking again.

I'm always skeptical on the Ninja products. So many bells and whistles on a lot of it... BUT that's a pretty sweet cooker. Happy Xmas to me! ;-) TY MrsK!

This is my go-to slow cooker cookbook, if anyone is interested.

I'm interested to know if anyone has a favorite freezer meal cookbook?
Thx!!

I don't know how the lifespan is because we've only had it for about a year, but considering how many ceramic crocks we've broken, we figured it was worth a shot. The reviews were all really good when we looked, so I'm guessing they last awhile. It's a really handy little appliance for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->