Bedtime stories, baby sign language!

S

Serene123

Fueled by Jess' thread if I'm honest. I'm excited to get active and get teaching my little cherrub some stuff. I know I'm teaching her with playing, and there's no pressure. I'm just going to start with things that will be fun for me too, like stories and learning baby sign language.

How do you teach them colours and stuff when they can't talk? How do you know they recognise them?

They learn when you use proper words for things through repetition. They see and recognize things constantly, imagine going to a foreign country... you recognize lots, but it takes a while to learn the language and connect things with words.

And Caitlin will be talking in a few short months and will repeat things and be able to start connecting the words with objects herself.

Jasmine is copying what we do and has been for a while now, we read her bedtime stories and she responds to them

just read, read, read and read. reading books and singing songs is one of the best gifts you can give a child. forget fancy expensive toys - a good colourful book . point things out in the book and repeat and repeat. she will pick it up.

i love reading ali books - putting on different voices! its great fun!

We read to Dec all the time, he will now lift a book and come to one of us to sit on our knee and read, he will point at things he knows and say them, like duckee quack quack, doggie woof woof, nee naw for a fire engine and iggle for iggle piggle. Reading is one of the best ways to learn esp. big bold books with just pics, then you can make up your own funny stories for her xx

i read to ella but i wont be teaching her stuff until she learns to talk more and understand alittle more.
I did this with Carly and she is advanced for her age so im not to worried if i start when she is older :)

You just have to trust that they can learn anything you decide to teach them. In my opinion they pick things up a lot quicker than we think they do, but because we can't test that they know it we think they don't. I'll guarantee you that she already understands a lot more than you think she does.

When you're playing with her say things like 'would you like the red brick or the blue brick' or 'there's your yellow duck'. With the stories, I highly recommend Aliens Love Underpants and Dinosaurs Love Underpants - they have really bright pictures and the story is told through rhyme so babies seem to love it. I've read them so often to Kaya I know them off by heart -

Aliens love underpants
Of every shape and size
But there are no underpants in space
So here's a big surprise

lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member