Being Overcharged for postage and packaging on Ebay!!

Elli21

Reaction score
Hiya :)

Bit of background info.

I bought 2 lots off one seller. And asked for a combined postage amount.
She took i think 3 days to get back to me as she said she was going to the postage office to get a quote on it.

She came back with a figure and i said "i think thats still quite high" but paid it, as i didnt know what packaging she would be using, and what class she was sending it by.

Now i got my parcel in normal brown paper, and it had been sent via 2nd class normal post. and it cost her£2.16....she charged me £4.99!!!

Seeing as she took days to get to me cos she was getting a quote, and then obviously made up a figure in her head. I got a little annoyed.
I sent her a polite message stating that If she didnt refund at least £2.50 ( i feel the 36p is more than enough for a bit of brown tape and cellotape) I would be leaving relevent feedback and reporting her to ebay.

She messaged me back 3 days later saying that basically shes new to ebay and didnt know blah blah, that she'd refund £1.50 as a good will gesture. That she didnt apprieciate saying id leave her negative feedback etc.
1. Theres been no refund sent to me
2. I was over charged by £2.50 not £1.50
and 3. Its just really wound me up.

What would you do?
Can i report her to ebay? What will they do?

Maybe she thought it would be standard parcel?which at the mo cost £4.41...esp if,as a lot of people do come into the post office and say 'can you give me a price for this' without having the item with them.x

Even so...she should refund what it didnt cost her!

Oh yeah,she should,but just saying that may have been how she got her quote... :blush:

ebay just annoys me fullstop!!! When i have sold things on there.... i always end up losing out on the P&P costs because i have under charged (not purposely)
TBH when i have bought something on ebay i take the P&P into account on how much i bid on the item or not at all if the P&P is too high......... i know sometimes people either make a bit extra on P&P or lose out.

as you are not happy and she did make extra on postage then she should give you back what she owes.

I have stopped selling on their now opting for my new favourite facebook for sale groups..........so much less hassle tee hee. x

I don't know if Ebay buyers are aware,you can ask your local post office for a price list,it tells you the price bands and everything..:flower:

As much as she did overcharge, you also used feedback extortion which can get you account restricted :(

I would let it go TBH.

This is why I have weighing scales, then I add a £1 on for packaging and my stars are 5 out of 5 for P&P.

V xx

She's not really got any excuse for overcharging that much. You can check the postage prices online. I sell a lot on eBay and generally know how much things cost to post but sometimes people message me asking for a price to post to a different country and all I do is weigh the item on my kitchen scales and enter it in on the Royal Mail Price Finder. There should be a way you can report it to eBay, have a look in the Resolution Center. x

I'd let it go. Maybe she added parking costs on to it to. X

I'd let it go tbh if im not happy with the p&p price I tend not to bid, or take it as a learning curve x

I look at postage when bidding as part of the overall cost too but know when someones extracting the pee buy charging £5 to post an item 2nd when I know it'll cost less then half that. One example was a kids t-shirt which would cost 75p as i sell these!!! These items usually go on to end with no bids!

I sell alot and will refund if judged over without fail. I never use recycled materials such as carrier bags to send as I bulk buy postage bags. I don't agree with adding petrol and parking costs, it's part and parcel of being a seller (if you excuse the pun lol!) I add an 30p as this is the ave price of the packaging per item.

Like V said, you've mentioned feedback in your email so reporting it will get you no where.

Mark her down on the star rating for P&P. I wouldnt neg her if you're happy with the items and she has offered a refund but that's my opinion. :flower:

Im ummm'ing and argh'ing on what feedback to leave.

I got a message saying "Ive given you your £2.50. Ive got better things to do with my time. Do not ever contact me again!"

I replied with a simple thankyou, but no need to be rude.

I mean, i was polite in everything i sent her (yes i said that the feedback i left would be reliant on the outcome but i still said that politely)
And ive just found her rude and horrible and to be honest i think theres alot less that i would leave negative for!

I would leave a neutral and leave low stars

V xxx

honestly i hate overcharging, i see it as overall most the time , like i bought a new bottle warmer for £18.50, £8.50 for standard p+p!!! and i have still not recieved it and have emailed her with no response grrrrr! ANYWAY!!! i agree with a previous post as you dont know what she calls p+p... could be petrol and parking too to post iykwim xx

This is one of my ebay pet peeves, I didn't leave any feedback when this last happened, its a cheek when someone says they are going to send 1st class recorded in their ad and then send 2nd class 10 days later as well, which is what happened on my last buy.
some ebayers are really bad and surprisingly get away with 100% postive feedback, very misleading, I guess some people are scared to leave neg feedback for someone in case they get neg feedback back. Also hate that when the communications are really poor or when someone gets really defensive with you, they know they are in the wrong and they still try and justify it.

This is one of my ebay pet peeves, I didn't leave any feedback when this last happened, its a cheek when someone says they are going to send 1st class recorded in their ad and then send 2nd class 10 days later as well, which is what happened on my last buy.
some ebayers are really bad and surprisingly get away with 100% postive feedback, very misleading, I guess some people are scared to leave neg feedback for someone in case they get neg feedback back. Also hate that when the communications are really poor or when someone gets really defensive with you, they know they are in the wrong and they still try and justify it.

Dont be put off, Sellers can not leave negative feedback so there is no need to worry about retaliation. At worse than can give a false positive and block you from bidding again.

As a buyer you can also rate their service on a star basis in certain areas. Any good seller will monitor these and If they can see their ratings slipping will do something. Also, once they start getting low star ratings ebay will pit restrictions on their account.

You can look up all prices on royal mail site, but if i ever overcharge I refund the difference to keep people happy as want to sell on there. Im dealing with a grumpy one at the moment who i know is trying to con me for the sake of some baby dungarees and 1.31 plus her postage. Unfortunally cause I am the seller I would loose out if she went to ebay, the sellers always do so she gets to keep the item for free and full refund! Ebays pretty useless these days to be honest, changed to much but handy for extra pennies. Id call ebay about maybe geting your refund as it was well over and if she says it covers packing materials and petrol, your actually not aloud to do that anymore. If one gets away with it, they all will. Thats the problem, I have done it to loads of ppl in past if its been much lower in P+P costs then quoted and got the difference back

if you dont like the p+p price, dont bid on the item
ive often bought something for 99p and the postage is like £4.00, theres no way it costs this much but i just look at the price of the item and the p+p as one price that i pay for item, if i'm happy to pay £4.99 for the item then i go for it and bid.
ebayers sometimes up the postage to make a bit more money for ebay fees etc. its the sellers choice how much they put the p+p at, its up to you if you want to pay it or not.
i'd just leave positive and forget about it. you did get your refund in the end, so no need to hold a grudge.

I'd leave her neutral and just put postage was way too much and when received was much less than quoted..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->