Being Overcharged for postage and packaging on Ebay!!

This is the reason i hate ebay. People over charge so much on postage, they ask for fees to cover getting to the post office! Erm no.

And some of them do that franking system so you don't know how much its cost them so they could charge what they like!

I think it is all very well saying that you shouldnt bid if you dont like the price of p&p but people like me dont have a clue what something costs to send, plus you dont know what packaging they are going to use, if it is a proper box then you expect to pay a bit more than just paper etc. The fact of the matter is, they shouldnt be making profit from p&p, pretty sure it is against ebay rules.

It is against ebay rules to make a profit on p&p charges. This is why i never overcharge for postage and if i do, then i will refund. I do charge 30pence an item for packaging...which is what it costs me to buy.
People make me laugh when they write "p&p charges include paypal fees, ebay fees, parking and petrol....and also my time" I dont bid on those items at all...and alot of the time they wont sell....or they will sell for the minimum....where the same item with proper p&p charges goes for alot more!!

:rofl: I have never seen anyone trying to cover their ebay and paypal fees via p&p costs, crazy.

Have to say that the P+P price is the P+P price. Dont like it, dont bid. Its not just about shipping charge, there is the cost of packing etc as well. And people can charge for the time it takes to pack and then post items as that is still part of P+P as far as im concerned.

I tend to guesstimate shipping prices too and most of the time end up paying more than i guessed but I've never asked a buyer to send me the difference after posting, os on the occasional times i have overcharged someone a few pence i have kept it. If i ridiculously overcharged someone i would refund the charge but on principle if someone asked me to refund their P+P I would be likely not to. And i dont honestly think £2.50 is that big a deal.

I most definitly would not refund someone who threatened to use the feedback system against me. The first thing i would do with that would be forward the email to ebay and let them deal with it.

You agree to pay P+P when you bid on an item. end of.

I think £2.50 is a large overcharge!!
P&P is exactly that - the price of postage and packaging of the item...if you start charging for time, then i think thats ridiculous!!
Plus...like i said i didnt say "give me my money or ill give u negative"....i said the feedback will reflect the service i get which i think is more than a fair comment!

I always factor in the charges when bidding! As a seller I'm annoyed with eBay not allowing more than £1.25 to ship dvds. I posted some dvds yestrday second class recorded and it was more than that for each one,that's not even including the envelope I used to send them (bought a big pack from 99p shop)

Technically what you said to her was feedback extortion. I understand you feel overcharged but all buyers should be responsible for looking at the shipping cost before bidding. She gave you a quote, and if you didn't like it, then you should have said something before paying, although you should not have even bid before asking her the cost of combined shipping. Also, I would not give any negative feedback because she did give you what you wanted anyway. So for you it was a win win situation. I agree with other posters, she might have factored in parking costs at the post office, and maybe she lives a very far distance from one. Also I usually add a shipping and handling cost of an extra $1 for packaging and time.

I dont get this dont bid if you dont like the price thing. I would have no idea how much items weigh and therefore have no idea how much p&p is appropriate until the package arrived.

But I think the point is that a bidder accepts the item and shipping cost before they place the bid, whether or not you know if the shipping price is 100% accurate.

Yes but you are accepting it thinking that it might cost that much. I just dont agree with making a profit on p&p.

But I think the point is that a bidder accepts the item and shipping cost before they place the bid, whether or not you know if the shipping price is 100% accurate.

I agree. In reality sellers can charge what they want for P&P and the buyer has to accept this if them bid on the item. Yes I'd be a bit miffed if i was significantly over charged but it's not as if it wasn't clear to begin with.

I guess the OP's situation is a little different though because it was a combined postage, but it was still agreed upon before money was sent/item was recieved.

I dont get this dont bid if you dont like the price thing. I would have no idea how much items weigh and therefore have no idea how much p&p is appropriate until the package arrived.

This was my point...i am a seller but i dont ever send like 5-6items together so i didnt have a clue on their weight.
Plus, as i said before, i didnt know what packaging she was going to use or what class she was going to post it by. (i only send recorded - so i know that bumps costs up)
But she sent 2nd class in rubbish packaging.

To whoever said that i should have asked before bidding, it stated in her listing she didnt mind doing it. :shrug: (and i do this too....and ive never been messaged before hand!)

I think this is a case of everyone has their own view and thats fine.
But to me personally, if your going to charge for your time and your parking and petrol....you should write that in the listing, so buyers know what they are paying for...personally i think its cheeky.

as much as she did overcharge, you also used feedback extortion which can get you account restricted :(

i would let it go tbh.

This is why i have weighing scales, then i add a £1 on for packaging and my stars are 5 out of 5 for p&p.

V xx

this!

I didnt even know i wasnt allowed to mention feedback in my mails to them....i do now though :p

Just like to throw in a bit -

Whilst I agree that she was perhaps a little OTT with her postage, you do have to consider the cost of packaging and getting to the PO. Also some people get confused on what their parcel/packet is considered as. Most people assume parcel which is normally why they quote high amount.

Also RE the franking machines - not all 'hide' the postage costs. There are many out there that display the cost.

I think it'd be unfair to leave her anything but positive feedback to be honest. You knew what the postage costs where and you paid them. If you were unhappy with it then why pay it? Businesses make a lil profit on postage costs all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->