benefit system is a joke!

Melissa93

Reaction score
hey just writing on here as getting really frustrated so need a rant and maybe someone will be able to offer advice as well.

Anyway my partner and I are looking into him moving in but getting nowhere atm as keep getting messed about, I was told he would be able to claim income based jsa and whatever he earns they take away each week only I then found out he can't actually claim it as he's a full time student (we both are). I rang job centre and spoke to a woman who confirmed this so I asked her what we could do only to find out we can't get income support as he works we can't claim jsa as he works too many hours and after just looking on working tax calculator we can't get that either as he doesn't work enough hours. I'm getting so frustrated especially as if he just quit his job we could get a joint claim for income support and get as much a week as if he was on income based jsa but with that they pay out less as his wages cancel some out. Its so stupid he wants to work but they are making it so hard for people who want to yet people who don't seem to get everything

I'm not sure what you would be entitled to but why don't you go to your local CAB and speak to an adviser? They can give you advice on what is going to be best for you both and your entitlements etc.

we have now been told as long as our hours at college are less than 16 hours a week we can make a joint claim for income based jsa my partners is 15 and half hours and mine is 16 and half so I have spoken to college and explained the situation they are going to try and trim about 40 mins off my college hours its just frustrating people who are trying to build a future and career for themselves get no help yet people who just want to sponge off everyone get given everything x

If you're at college 16 hours a week can you not fit a job around that x

When I was at college I couldn't get benefits. I couldn't even get a student loan as I was only 16! But I worked Friday and Saturday and a couple of evenings. In the summer I worked 6 days a week and 2 nights and saved ! It was that only way I could afford the rent, food bills etc. And all whilst doing a full time college course.

Could you look into part time work? I'm studying a masters but knew as an adult parent student I would need to fund myself (my husband works full time) so I work 4 days a week and study outside of work. Can you get a job around your college hours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->