• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BF in a jacuzzi?????

ktod

Reaction score
https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Ne...e-of-no-food-or-drink-rule-20130717055500.htm

Am I the only one who thinks she's crazy??

I'm not even talking about NIP

But BF in the jacuzzi :shrug:

This is a case of poor editing from comments I've read elsewhere. I think the woman herself has commented on the page to say it wasn't a jacuzzi, among other things

From the tone of the article the mom was trying to cause a stir from it. I don't find NIP a problem at all (I have NIP), if it was her breastfeeding on a chair around the pool or something I would think it would be cause for upset, but A. where I live young children aren't allowed in Jacuzzi's as they can be too hot and unsafe for them.. And B. Why would one even want to breastfeed their child in a nasty chlorine filled public pool! Ive never even attempted to breastfeed LO while in my own private pool!

I don't think she's crazy but I do think she could've gotten out of the hot tub to feed her baby. People always equate a baby feeding with any adult eating, so I guess the rules should apply in this situation as well!

I'm all for NIP but I don't think it's outrageous for someone to ask her to feed outside of the hot tub. As long as they weren't asking her to leave period.

Here's her comment
.The feed lasted 1 minute & it was in the childs section of the pool whilst I was kneeling on the side. I was approached & told that nobody is allowed to feed publically and I should leave to do it elsewhere. I replied that you can feed in any public place , they went to get the manager who didnt approach me. When the manager came out my son was playing and not feeding anymore, they joked about just not wanting to see it & how it's nasty. I was approached by the reporter through a friend & all I wanted to get across was they told a friend on the poolside she wasn't allowed to feed publically. After educating them on the rights they assured it wouldn't happen again but 8 months later they did the same to me. My son wasn't in the water & we asked them about their policies regarding breastfeeding but they did not reply. Judge me all you want all I aimed to do by doing this article was to try and stand up for breastfeeding women who I know have stopped because of similar incidents . My family,my friends & my sons father are all supportive and encourage me to feed freely & without shame or embarrasment. Breastfeeding is natural & should be embraced not bashed . The reason I got given as to why I was not allowed to feed was people can't feed publically . They said afterwards the risk of milk getting in the pool and vomit was why I was told to leave . There are filters & chlorine within the pool & milk naturally gets in the water if you lactate anyway. I just wanted to try and normalise breastfeeding and stand up for other women. All I can say is I hope people see my comment & realised that it has been fabricated and warped and maybe they'll understand why I am passionate about the subject . I was in fact in the childrens section of the pool which is clearly suitable for a child and my son was not in the water for the duration of the feed . I am happy with my son and his father , in the process of training to become a midwife and do not intend to let this misrepresentation effect me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I have simply stated mine.

This is a case of poor editing from comments I've read elsewhere. I think the woman herself has commented on the page to say it wasn't a jacuzzi, among other things

See this makes a lot more sense! It was racking my brain trying to figure out how one breastfeeds while sitting in a Jacuzzi..

I BF anywhere and everywhere but not in a jacuzzi with other members of the public.

I know newspapers can twist things to get readers. Bad really.

I have nothing against BF in public, I wish more women would do it. I personally would have gone in to the changing rooms, thats just my opinion.... but no woman should be told to leave an area because she is feeding her baby. It makes me really angry.

I wouldnt eat in a pool and I wouldnt give a bottle in a pool (regardless of whether baby was actually in the water) so im afraid i think she is in the wrong.

I feed Fox everywhere but this would be the one exception. I dont think she should have gone to the changing rooms but she should have left the immediate area to feed.

I wouldnt eat in a pool and I wouldnt give a bottle in a pool (regardless of whether baby was actually in the water) so im afraid i think she is in the wrong.

I feed Fox everywhere but this would be the one exception. I dont think she should have gone to the changing rooms but she should have left the immediate area to feed.

I agree with you.

I think part of breastfeeding rights is that it should be given status as 'normal feeding'. If 'normal feeding' is not permitted in a particular area for hygienic reasons, such as a pool (or wherever the hell this was), and a woman would not be allowed to bottle-feed there either, then so be it.

I agree with this comment:
"...the whole fight behind public nursing is for our babies to be treated as HUMANS with the same rules as children and adults when it comes to being able to eat in public. She is being treated equally here, and she doesn't like it because its inconvenient...."

She is absolutely in the wrong.

It's common sense to not eat/drink in a public pool - regardless if you're six months, six years, sixteen or sixty!

She's absolutely not wrong. The law in England and Wales is that she can feed in any public place that women and children are allowed to be, not any public place that children are allowed to eat. It was written that way for a very logical reason, babies are humans sure, but they are brand new tiny ones and have different needs, chief among which is the need to feed often and without delay. Having to get up out of the pool and go sit with both mother and baby wet and cold in the changing room for what might be, and was in this instance, a 60 second feed, is absolutely ludicrous. The baby would get all upset and his need for a little drink and comfort could change rapidly to a whole lot more, soothing an upset baby while both of you are wet and cold is going to be extremely difficult and the odds are that the mother would leak all over the place on the trip from the pool to the changing room. The chances that their swimming experience would be ruined are very high. But grown ups can't eat in the pool so screw 'em eh? Thankfully the authors of this part of the equality legislation were able to think through the logistics of what is being so blithely suggested and the mother was protected in her decision to do the sensible thing.

for the people saying its wrong....have you actually read HER comments on this? the fact that she actually says she was NOT in the pool but at the poolside when she fed her son?

Seeing as she's stated that she wasn't in the water when she was feeding her son then I think the staff at the pool are in the wrong (she states that in the previous post that pasted her comment).
Obviously it's a case of the newspaper trying to sensationalise the story by making out she was in the jacuzzi at the time.

I've NIP'd at the side of our local pool before, it's no biggy, if my daughter needs feeding then she gets fed. Simple.

She later clarifies in her comment that her son wasn't in the water but in the beginning it sounded like he was in the water and she was kneeling over the side. What an image that presented!

However, if neither of them were in the water, then I agree - she's not in the wrong.

To be honest, even if she was in the water, so what?!?

Keeping baby immersed in water would keep them warmer than sitting at the side of the pool, it'd help baby associate the water with good things and comfort and it also calms baby so that other swimmers aren't annoyed by screams.

I can't actually think of one reason for no breast feeding in the pool (obviously not a jacuzzi as babies shouldn't be in there anyway).

Not everybody is going to be comfortable with a woman breastfeedig in the pool. If milk gets in the water or the baby throws up in the same water that my child and myself are swimming in, it grosses me out. I wouldn't want a woman bottle feeding her baby in the water either.

More milk would get in the water from leaking boobs than when a baby is breast feeding, they tend to not let it get away ;)
As for baby sick, surely if a baby is going to be sick then they're going to do it no matter whether they're breast fed or bottle fed or even not fed?
How about when a baby wee's in the pool? Or poops?

To be honest, I've had people come up to me and call me disgusting for daring to nurse my daughter in a coffee shop, same applies, if my daughter is hungry then she gets fed, personally I don't care about what offends someone, if my daughter is hungry then out comes a boob. Plus of course, it's my legal right to feed my daughter when and where I like. Just as it's your legal right to not watch/leave/get on with what you were doing before.

Just to clarify, when I say "out comes a boob" I don't mean I sit there waving it about at random people, I discreetly nurse my baby! (Or not a baby, actually a toddler at 14 months...)

You know that people pee in the pool right? Even if by some miracle none of the toilet trained people do it, all of the babies do and swim nappies don't contain urine. You also know that when a breastfeeding mother hears her, or even another baby, crying there are very good odds that she will leak, copiously. The best way to ensure that as little of that milk as possible gets in the water is to have a baby's mouth around her nipple but either way, there is probably going to be milk in the pool. And lastly many babies puke when upset, so making a baby wait to get fed is every bit as likely to get spit up in the water as feeding one, along with their snot and tears.

The things that gross you out, and worse, are going to be in the water one way or the other. Your problem is that one way makes you think about what is in the water and the other way allows you to achieve cognitive dissonance. And the simple truth is that letting adults fool themselves about what's in the water isn't a good enough reason to cause upset and discomfort to a baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->