BF'ing while pregnant

JJsmom

Mom to 3 & expecting
Reaction score
Hi ladies, I just got my BFP on Christmas day. Since then my nipples have become so sore! It hurts when my 6 month old latches on and I yelp every time! It's almost like I've gone back to the beginning of when he was first born again. Will this get better? If not, I honestly don't know if I can keep it up other than manual pumping as that doesn't hurt as bad. It's just frustrating to pump and then feed as I know he's very hungry. He is on baby foods at lunch and dinner with milk afterwards and rice cereal in the morning for breakfast.

I think everyone is different, but I started having painful nipples when dd bf after about 6 weeks pregnant. It felt like needles were jabbed into them and I would actually cry it hurt so bad! I suffered through it (I am not going to lie it was excruciating, but I am determined to let dd self-wean) and they started to get better around the second trimester and now don't hurt at all.

I found the same things that worked at the beginning of bfing helped, like lanolin and cold gel nipple pads.

dd has always been a boobie monster and still bfs several times a day and throughout the night, but she is eating a lot more food and depending on a lot less bm than your ds.

Also be prepared to lose supply. Some women lose supply when they get pregnant and the baby naturally self-weans but some feed throughout and then tandem nurse. My sister got pregnant when her dd was a few months old and managed to feed the whole pregnancy and then tandem nursed them through toddlerhood, but some women have to supplement.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the info! I have to go pick up some lanolin. I haven't lost my supply yet. I'm still getting 2-3 oz when I pump every 2-3 hours. I'll put him on after pumping too if I do indeed pump. I'm trying to push through the pain but when it becomes just too much I have to pump to give my nipples a break. I'm hoping that I can continue but wean him by the time our LO gets here. My DS has liked the bottle more because he was always fuller. When I quit my job 2 months ago I went back to strictly nursing and he'd always fall asleep and not get as full and would nurse more often. I don't want to supplement but will do what I have to for his sake. I appreciate your response!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->