Bidding on properties ?

tina_h75

mommy of 3
Reaction score
Has anyone successfully bidded on a council/housing association property? I made a bid on 3 properties today and its the first time I have used the system. Apparently I am 36 in a list of 112 people on the first house I bidded and this is my best placement out of the three so I am not expecting to even get a viewing this time round but just wondering - how long does it usually take ? I assume I am quite far down the list, does this mean I could be waiting another couple of years ? :flower:

My sister was general needs and when she bid on the property she is in now, it took 6 months for her to be allocated the property.

V xx

I have been on the housing list for years, before they started the bidding system but I have been very choosy about areas which is why I have not got anywhere. This week, 3 houses have all come up in the area I want so have bid on each but its a really popular location so there will be a lot of interest.

How many beds have you got now and what are you bidding on and have your tried Gumtree and homeswap?

V xx

I am in a 3 bed house now but its privately rented. I want to move to local authority housing because the rent is excessive and I am struggling every month to make the payments. I was band C priority but looking at the guidelines I think I will be moved to band D or even E because I am no longer classed as a priority as I moved from the overcrowded conditions when we lived with mil into a privately rented property. In the long run though am I am no better off - I may have the space I need, I just don't have the funds to pay for it!

This really wouldn't be a problem if rents were not so high. They have capped housing benefit so really, private rent costs should be more in line with that.

I am the same as you chick.

I have a 3 bed in receipt of Housing Benefit.

And now I have to put in £90 a month IS to pay the difference.

LHA rates are poo.

I am waiting for my housing details back so I can bid on properties, it takes 8 weeks to process.

V xxx

I have to pay £220 a month towards my rent and I am on income support! Have you applied for discretionary housing benefit while you are waiting for your application to be processed ? I am hoping that I might be eligible for this.

I haven't applied but I will.

Shaun applied for the DHP before he got his new job and he asked for £25 a week, they gave him £3.

V xxx

Sutton Coldfield, I am on maximum local housing allowance as well. The rent prices are just crazy.

I have to put £65 a month towards mine and im on full housing benefit and max lha what is this dhp? Does that help every month or just one month?
I was waiting on council list for ages in a over crowded house i gave up in the end and im renting private now, i was told its evan harder once your in accomodation that isnt overcrowded or such that is rented. Ugh.

I have to put £65 a month towards mine and im on full housing benefit and max lha what is this dhp? Does that help every month or just one month?
I was waiting on council list for ages in a over crowded house i gave up in the end and im renting private now, i was told its evan harder once your in accomodation that isnt overcrowded or such that is rented. Ugh.

this is exactly why I had to rent privately, it was too overcrowded and stressful living with the mil so I needed to get out, but I can't afford the rent and each month it gets more of a struggle.

Contact your local housing benefit office and ask them to send you out the paperwork to apply for DHP - its a top up of your housing benefit for people who can't afford the rent.

I was band D no kids when i got my house i think i was 10th on the list but because people view it and dont like it it goes down the line x

out of the three I have placed bids, my positions are

37/114
45/132
43/133

so there is already a lot of interest and bidding doesn't close until Tuesday.

Its rare that 3 bed houses become available in my area and when they do, everyone wants them! I'm not prepared to change area though, my daughter starts at the local primary school September so I can't move too far away.

I will be put in Band D and there is a property locally to me in Carnforth and cos I haven't been processed I can't bid.

:(

V xx

We have just successfully bid on a 3 bed house and we have been on the list for 22 months. But not many people in our area bid on 3 bed houses, there was 26 people in total who bid on ours.

weve not had any luck yet with our housing list and we have been on it for 2 yrs or so.

it annoys me, because sometimes we can go weeks and there is nothing for us. but thats the way it goes i guess

I hate this bidding process, It's been 8 weeks and we are still waiting for our housing details back so we can bid on properties. At the moment we are in a private rented house but need to move with baby no.2 on the way. We've also had our names on the housing list for the past 4 year but apparently that doesn't count because you've to go through all the bidding stuff. x

We don't have bands we have the point system. We have been in temporary accommodation now for over 2 years and on the list for over 4, in the banding system we would be classed as priority, yet so far haven't got anywhere. Last time we was between 1-5 and that is the best we have done, so hopefully not to long.

We have been choosy over the areas due to school and work but the areas we have chosen go for the least points anyway due to not being in towns etc, plus less people bid on them.

I know what you mean, rent prices are crazy in Birmingham! Occasionally you get the odd bargain, but they're few and far between, and becomming rarer and rarer these days. I'm also a little picky about areas we want to live which doesn't help tbh.. We're signed up to Solihull home options and are classes as band D, we got the letter today but I think I may have made a mistake when filling in the form online so we may end up being band E instead. Hopefully you get lucky and find a place!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->