Birth classes?

mod19

Reaction score
I went to sign up and waited too long and everything is full. Are they necessary? What do they go over/teach you? I wanted to take them but now that I can't I'm just going to do some research, but what exactly should I be researching for? Anyone take them and find them not that much use? I know people don't take them and get through just fine, but I'm curious at what I will be missing.

We were sort of in the same boat. Our hospital ones fill up too quickly, and local private classes were very pricey... We did a 2 hr newborn care class (which was good) and an infant CPR course (which was great- do it if you can!).

I bought Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth. I think that reading that likely taught me a lot more than I would have learnt in a class. But, maybe ladies who did a class can shed more light...

You can watch alot of videos with this info on YouTube. Thats what I am doing. Those classes fill up fast. I have done the infant CPR classes numerous times and like the PP said, I would recommend doing that one.

It depends to a degree on what kind of birth you want. I'm really glad we're taking a class, but I'm planning on a natural birth, and the class gives a lot of practical natural birth advice - we practice positions with an instructor there to help make sure we're doing it right, we had a doula in to teach DH counterpressure techniques, and so on. You never know what will happen, but if you plan to go to the hospital and get an immediate epidural, that kind of thing may not be as important to you. There's nothing in the class so far that I think we wouldn't be able to find on Youtube, I just strongly prefer the hands-on approach and correction. The non-hands on stuff, like learning about stages of labor and induction methods, could easily be read on the internet or in a book. We're only halfway through, so we haven't yet covered medical pain relief and baby care, so I don't know how useful those classes will be.

In the end, it comes down to learning style and personality, as well as your birth goals. If you decide to DIY it, make sure your birth partner is right there next to you watching videos! My DH is learning more than I am in class.

Thanks guys, I ordered that book so I guess I'll have to read, ugh.

Chicago I'm planning on a hospital birth but want to go as lo,g as I can without pain meds. Not because I want to see how much I can take or anything but because my moms labor hardly hurt her and was less than 4 hours with all 3 of her children, so I guess I'm hoping my body responds well to labor. Especially since I never felt either of my ectopics, and everyone tells me how painful they are. Pain? Never had any...at all. What hurt the most was them sticking that Damon needle in my hand. I'm not having a birth plan or anything either. Plan: show up, try for no pain meds, deliver a baby. Basically I'm a go with the flow type of person anyways so if they recommend something besides conventional labor, I'll probably say ok,let's do this. They're the drs and have been through way more births than me!

Good luck! If you remind me, I'll post some of the natural birth coping techniques from myclass when I'm at home, so you have an idea what to research.

Ina May's book is great, but it definitely has a strong bias towards natural birth, so you may not relate well to it if you don't also have that bias. You should try it anyway, I just wanted to throw that warning out there.

I didn't take them last time. I think that if you're good at seeking out and absorbing information on your own, the only thing you'll really be missing is the social aspect.

I am very familiar with the birth process so attending the classes was really an opportunity to ask questions on how things are specifically done or handled at the hospital I'm giving birth at. Also it was free so maybe if I had to pay, I may have been less incentivized to attend. But if you are unfamiliar with the birth process, I would suggest considering attending as the last thing you want to deal with during labor is fear of the unknown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->