Birth Control to manage miscarriage bleeding? [update: kind of worried now]

Rei

Reaction score
I was told at 9 weeks that this pregnancy was not normal and it was most likely a blighted ovum. I think I started spotting two weeks after that and then heavy bleeding after that. I started hemorrhaging 5 weeks ago, but luckily I was on my way to my follow up appointment when it happened and my Doctor was able to take care of it in the office. Well it's 5 weeks later and I am still bleeding. It's light to spotting and I know several women have gone on longer, but from what I have read this just isn't normal.

I called my doctor this morning and she put me on Birth Control to try to manage my cycles. Can anyone tell me about their experiences with using this method? Does it help?

[Update]

I'm actually beginning to get a little worried. Friday I just started bleeding heavily again and now I'm back to spotting. I really thought I was done bleeding Thursday but now it's starting all over again. I'm really beginning to worry that I'll never have children after this.

I've bled for up to 3 weeks after a loss so I understand the frustration at having extended bleeding, even if it is just spotting. First off, do you know what your hCG level is? If it's still elevated (and you can check with an hpt. If you still have two lines, then your hCG isn't back down to 0 yet.), that could mean your body isn't clearing your hormones like it should or you have retained tissue causing the spotting. I'd do an hpt or request a quantitative hCG blood test to see what your hCG levels are doing and then an ultrasound to make sure your uterus is empty. If you are still worried, then schedule an appt with your doctor to discuss your worries face to face.

hope that helps. :hugs: and I'm so sorry for your loss.

Hello dairymomma!
My doctor has done two pregnancy tests and the final pregnancy test that was done last thursday and was told by the nurse that the only reason why she knew there was a second line was because she knew what to look for or something along those lines. She said it was barely there and told me that there was no need to do a blood test since the line was so faint. I did have an ultrasound after the doctor had pulled the tissue out (several days after) and the ultrasound showed that there was no more tissue, just blood.
My doctor was pretty sure I had had a period in between now and then too so I guess she believes that my cycle is just out of balance. The nurse had also told me that sometimes it can take up to 2 months for things to go back to normal....I just can't wait that long. I'm willing the give the Birth control a shot. I really hope there is no more tissue left, I really do!
If this does not clear up by the end of the weak I will ask for a blood test though.

I'm guessing that it's just your body regulating then if everything was checked out previously. A miscarriage can do funky things to your hormone levels and it's not just hCG that's affected. If you want to give the BC a shot then I'd say go for it but it never hurts to talk to your doctor if you are really concerned. I know I had spotting around ovulation my first cycle after my last loss and spotting again a few days before AF showed up, neither of which is normal for me so I freaked out a bit. I was all set to call the dr when AF came right on time and now this cycle (2nd since my latest loss) has been normal so I'm figuring the unusual bleeding was just my body settling back down. FX it's the same for you.

I hope so. I thought last night ot was finally over but I just had a glob of red blood blood come out of me this morning and as soon as it passed it has been nothing but a little bit of spotting when I wipe. Maybe that's what had been trying to pass. I really hope this is it. I just can't stand seeing anymore blood.

Yeah, it sounds like you had one last clot to come out. FX that was the last of it.

I think that was the last of it. Have only had very light spotting since then on and off. I think the BC is working already ^_^

Started bleeding again Thursday. I don't know what to do anymore. Emergency room told me tk call doctor tomorrow. This has been 6 straight weeks of bleeding and every time it looks like it's going to stop it gets heavy again. And starts over. My hpt is STILL positive.

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. I also bled a lot following my mmc. The birth control did the trick for me though after 60 days of straight bleeding. I really hope you get back to normal soon. Fx!

My friend bled for 6 weeks after her loss at approx 5-6 weeks and I bled on and off for 3-4 weeks after my D&C. Its very frustrating isnt it, im sure your body is just readjusting, try not to worry. You have every chance of a successful pregnancy next time. I conceived again in April after a D&C mid Feb - good luck xx

Thank you all for your replies. Unfortunately I just had some blood work done and I still have HCG in my system and still bleeding heavy. My doctor is probably gonna schedule a D&C for me tomorrow T_T. After all of this to avoid a D&C I have to have one anyway lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->