Birth of my baby (Somewhat Long and Pretty Dramatic)

LockandKey

Reaction score
Well, I have already posted this in third trimester section, but I will do it here too

I'm proud to announce the birth of my baby girl Nora Anne, born May 30th at 8lbs 6oz and 21 inches long :happydance:

I started having contractions at 3am on May 30th, then my water broke at 6:45am so we went to the hospital and I was 3cm dilated, so the hospital staff sent us to a labor room. As some of you may already know, I was really hoping for an all natural birth, so I asked for a birthing ball and did my breathing exercises and such, and it was going well until I hit 5cm, then for some reason I was having contraction on top of contraction, they wouldn't stop, and gave me no rest in between. Somehow I dealt with that for over 2 hours, but because I had no breaks I started to hyperventilate a bit, which made the contractions even worse. Walking made it worse too, the only way I was somewhat comfortable was when I was in bed.

Because my body was so tense for so long, my labor stopped progressing, and the doctor told me if I didn't go another cm in the next hour he would give me a pitocin, so I ended up breaking down and asking for an epidural, thus throwing my plans for an all natural birth out the window. :nope:

After I received the epidural I was finally able to relax and I started to progress again, about a cm each hour or two, which was great because it meant I didn't need any pitocin after all, so I think I ended up making the right choice on that.

Then I was ready to push around 8pm, but when I did, she wouldn't come out, her head was too big, and every time I would push, her heart rate would go down, and the next thing I knew, there was 10 extra people in the room to give me an assisted birth. From there it got pretty scary, and I don't remember much because it was like a blur.

First they tried the vacuum on her head, but when that didn't work they had to get out the forceps, and my hubby told me the cord was wrapped around her neck twice. They got her head out, but then her shoulders got stuck, so they had to give me an episiotomy without asking, and they got one shoulder out, but not the other, so they had to break her collar bone on her left shoulder to get her out the rest of the way. My hubby got to cut the cord, but I was confined to the bed to get sewn up by a freakin student, which probably took twice as long as it should have, so I didn't get to hold my baby for about 30 mins after she was born.

I'm a petite person, only 5'2 and 115lbs before I got pregnant, so at 8lbs 60z, she's a pretty big baby for someone my size, and I guess it's no wonder I needed help.

She had dark forcep marks on either side of her face, but now at 4 days old they are gone, and she didn't develop jaundice because of it, which is really good, and she is getting good movement in her arm and shoulder on the side that had been broken. My little lady is such a trooper :thumbup:

It was a pretty traumatic experience, but I'm so glad I have my baby safe and sound

She has dark blue eyes, and blonde hair, just like me :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

Attachments

• DSCF1670.jpg
    DSCF1670.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 14
Congratulations! I'm sorry you didn't get the birth you wanted though, and your poor little lady getting her collar bone broken. :cry:

She is beautiful. :cloud9:

she is Beautiful - so sorry u had to go thru that babe! Congratulations and glad u are both doing well X

Congratulations, she's so cute! :)

I must admit though, your birth story kind of scared me! I'm also a petite build wanting an all natural birth. Really hope it doesn't end up so dramatic! Then again, I was told yesterday by my mother-in-law that although the birth may be a terrible experience, after baby is born you forget quickly as you're drowned in happiness. I'm very happy for you and am glad your daughter is doing so well!

Wow, what an adventure.
She's gorgeous and congratulations x

Congrats-she is adorable! I am sorry to hear how tough the delivery was for you and baby, and that it didn't go as you had planned- but be very proud of yourself- you went through a lot and becsuse of YOU your baby girl is here and healthy!! Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->