Birth of my (not so) big baby

ImisMummy

Reaction score
Thought I would introduce myself in here as well as announcing the arrival of my baby girl.

Bit of a back story.

Im Zoe, im 21 and gave birth to my baby girl Imogen on 15th feb.

When I was 17 the doctors discovered that I wasnt producing female hormones and therefore not ovulating.

Dec 08, just as I had got used to the idea of never being a mummy when I got a bit of a shock. My period wasnt late or anything but then I walked into a door and my nipples really hurt, I just knew I was pregnant. I took a test new years eve and got a positive. This was followed by weeks of pain, lots of bleeding and many scans to be told everything was fine. Then on a routine check up scan we found that bubs had stopped growing 2 weeks earlier. Long story short, had to have bubs surgically removed.

Doctors then said I was going to find it hard to conceive again. However, my body had other idea. Woman from hell emerged within weeks of starting the pill and DH pleaded and I stopped taking it after 6 weeks.

What harm would it do if I couldnt get pregnant easily? 4 weeks later "you are 3+ weeks pregnant"

Pregnancy wasnt easy, morning sickness til 21 weeks, followed by SPD and antenatal depression. But I got there!

Had to have 5 20 weeks scans as Imi wasnt being the most co-operative little lady and kept hiding various body parts!

I forget how many times they told me she was going to be big, at least 9 pounds so at my 38 weeks appt, consultant decided, if she wasnt here by 40 weeks he would induce me.

Made appointment for 14th feb to be induced, great valentines day, easy to remember! Got to the hospital to discover I hadnt been booked in for the induction and the consultant decided instead he would spend 24 hours observing me then another 24 for a thrush treatment (which I had already taken the week before and was allergic to!) and then maybe, after that he would induce me.

I was only 40+4, she still had time, I was tired and stressed and she wasnt in danger so I would rather hang on and see if she would come on her own.

We left the hospital after having Imis heart rate checked and the toco machine check for tightenings. Turns out I was having them rather frequently!

The nurse reassured me that, at this rate, labour would start within a couple of days.

MIL picked us up and as a treat took us shopping for baby bits at the local shopping centre, where I proceeded to start my labour! Contractions werent that strong so I just grinned and beared it. The last thing I wanted was MIL rushing me to the hospital!

Finally we got home at 4pm after labour starting at 11am! Lots of fidgeting and hand squeezing followed before finally, at 7.30am the contractions where strong and 3 mins apart and I gave in and let DH ring the hospital who sent out an ambulance.

I still struggled on, determined to go as long as possible without pain killers. A determination which I finally give up at about 10am! Even then I would only take gas an air. The next few hours only feel like minutes. Although Im sure DH disagrees as his thumbs were squeezed so much during contraction he actually had bruises!

3.30pm came and Id finally had enough and asked for an epidural which they gave me. Anaesthetist had some trouble getting it in which resulted in only half of one leg benefitting from it.

Not that I cared at this point, the urge to push had come and it didnt hurt so much anymore.

Almost an hour later at 4.28pm Imogen was born. Im not sure she was too happy about this as she decided to be awkward and do a meconin poo on her was out which resulted in us having to stay in overnight. The first time me and DH hadnt slept in the same room.

All in all, I dont remember a great deal about the labour, except having a detailed conversation about orgasms with a rather old fashioned french midwife!!

lmao lovely birth story and I love the name Imogen. Congratulations.

Congrats on your lil girl-well done!!

What weight was she eventually - I take it she wasn't as big as they first thought ?

xx

I realised i didnt say after id posted. That gas and air must last a lot longer than they say lol 3 weeks!

She was 5lb 13oz, no where near the 9lb i was expecting!

I know! Unfortunately it also means we had to go on an emergency shopping trip the day we came home to buy a load of premie baby clothes.

She is doing well though, now over 6 and half pound at 2 weeks 4 days and just starting to fit into first size/tiny baby clothes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->