Birth of our sweet Elizabeth Ramona Mae

babymine13

Reaction score
Our daughter was born on the 13th of October at 7.30pm. She was two weeks early and was a complete surprise!

It began on a wednesday morning when I had my routine 38 week appointment with the midwife. Four days earlier I had began leaking small to moderate ammounts of clear fluid, although i'd called l&d for advice they'd told me I only needed to come in if I was soaking a pad within two hours, I wasnt so I didnt!
However the midwife was more concerned and sent me over to l&d to be examined. I had an internal examination and was told it was probably just increased discharge common in late pregnancy, but to be safe they had a doctor scan me to check fluid levels. Im so glad they did because the scan found my fluid levels we're low and the doctor made the decision there and then to induce me that evening! My OH who was with me was so excited he couldnt sit still, I think I was just in shock.

We went home for a few hours to get my hospital bag and have showers. At 6.00pm we we're back at the hospital. We had to wait until around 9.00pm for everything to get started, I was examined and i was dialated NOTHING, not one bit. My cervix was what the midwife called 'unfriendly' ha, my body was not ready for labour at all. I had two IV's put in, one for antibiotics (They we're worried about infection as my waters had been broken so long) and one for the inducing drug (I couldnt have a pessary as My body was so unprepared)

I'd say my contractions started sometime in the early hours of the morning and my waters began to leak more and more, when the midwife examined me there was a massive gush and she was now able to feel the hair on my babies head. After a long time of fairly mild contractions the next morning at around 12pm, they we're getting much stronger and closer together so I had some pethadine which really worked (almost instantly) for about an hour or so until the pain became pretty bad again so I was offered gas and air which I accepted even though I was scared it would make me sick (I kind of have a big phobia of being sick). I was pretty out of it by this time and I thought gas and air was amazing. A Doctor came to see me and offered me two choices as i was still only two cm's dialated (!), I could either have an epidural now or wait a few hours and see what happened and I could have an epidural then if I wanted one. I decided to wait and see what happened... I naievely thought this was as bad as it would get.

Everything went downhill from this point. The gas and air made me go mental, it felt like i was in a nightmare, I kept hearing the same noises over and over again and when my boyfriend left the room for two mins I felt like I was left alone for hours and hours.
Over the next couple of hours the pain became SO AWFUL and I started to have the urge to push (this was probably at about 4/5pm). I stood up to go to the toilet and threw up but luckily I was too tired to care. I couldnt pee becuase of the position of babies head so I had to have an in out catheter which was horrible! I feel so bad for the people who have to live their lives with one.

It was now time for my next internal and by now the pain was so bad I couldnt tell when I was having a contraction as it was constant. I asked if it was ok for me to have an epidural but by now it was too late as I had fully dialated! I pushed for around an hour making very little progress as i was so tired, my boyfriend tells me I kept saying things like 'please help me' and 'I'm annoying myself'. I so wanted to be able to do it myself but I just couldnt seem to get enough force behind my pushes no matter how hard I tried we got nowhere.

Eventually the decision was made to help me along and try and deliver our baby via ventouse. As the dr started opening theatre packs and getting the equipment ready I was so scared! The Dr (who was actually brilliant) told me that I had to give her 100% effort for this to work otherwise I would have to have a forceps delivery or a c section and neither would be nice. I had to promise her I was going to try my hardest and push as best I could while she pulled with the ventouse.

She very quickly told me she was going to have to cut me and performed an episiotomy before I had a chance to respond (I'm so glad she did it this way as if she'd of told me then hung about I would have been really scared).
I have no idea how long it took but I know I pushed with all my strength until my sweet Elizabeths head was out, I reached down, felt her and then there she was on my chest, crying and opening her big beautiful eyes. She was 7lb 9 and had our hearts from the moment we saw her, we are completly in love
:flower: If anyones read this all the way through, sorry it was so long!

Sounds like you had a bit of a rough time, but well worth it in the end! :thumbup: CONGRATS!!!!!! :happydance:

https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/daniellepcos/Baby/babcong0.jpg

The moment a child is born,
The mother is also born.
She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never.
A mother is something absolutely new.
:kiss:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"