Birth partners - how long are they allowed afterwards?

sueh81

Mummy to 1 & 1 on the way
Reaction score
Hiya,
I've been worrying myself stupid that if I give birth in the night that DH will be turfed out leaving me all alone with our baby and not having a clue what to do. I've actually been worrying myself to tears over this, it might sound stupid but the birth part doesn't worry me - it's being alone in the hospital afterwards!
Surely they'll let him stay for a certain length of time after the birth and he'll be with me all through the labour, but how long do they actually let your husband / partner stay for afterwards??

This has worried me a lot too it's a rotten thought and I'll be interested to find out what people say! Ur not alone Hun xx

depends on the time and what sort of birth you have, it will be minimum of about an hour or two though, even in middle of night

My husband stayed the night with me. He actually only left to get me food the next day and come back. We spent two night there together. I can't imagine not having my hubby there with me. They had a bed for him right in my room and Ava never left my room either.'m in Canada though. Not sure what it's like in the UK.

I couldn't imagine hubby not being able to stay with me and baby. Here in the US they stay the whole time in the hospital day or night doesn't matter.

I've only ever had my babies in the morning, so OH got to stay for the day. But I believe if it's the middle of the night that you give birth then they allow partner to stay until you get to the ward. There then allowed back at 8am. It is scary, but you'll be fab. It's a shame they don't allow OHs to stay. Xx

I had my son at 2am and hubby didn't leave me til about 8am when he had to go and get some sleep or he would have collapsed!

Where I'm from hubby is encouraged to spend the night! He's the only one who the "visiting hours" don't apply to, and he can come and go as he pleases (although I'm sure they don't appreciate OH coming in the hospital at 3 am when everyone is trying to sleep).

Now, in saying that, the only time I had the dad stay with me in the hospital was my ex when I had my first baby. When I had my next 2, my husband didn't stay with me, but he could have.

I've only ever had my babies in the morning, so OH got to stay for the day. But I believe if it's the middle of the night that you give birth then they allow partner to stay until you get to the ward. There then allowed back at 8am. It is scary, but you'll be fab. It's a shame they don't allow OHs to stay. Xx

I know it's a shame isn't it!!! DH said last night that it'll be awful for him to come home to an empty house and have to sleep on his own knowing that me and his new son are at the hospital!! xx

Max was both at 3.28am and I was back on ward at 6.15 when he was turfed out but I was knackered and Max was asleep so I didn't mind and he was back by 10am

I totally understand how you feel, I've been freaking out about this for a while. Ladies in the US are lucky to have your partner be able to stay. Must depend on the time of the birth in the UK. xx

I think every hospital may be different. You should give the maternity ward a call and ask- while you're at it ask if you can schdule a tour so they can just walk you through the floor and show you the nursey etc... that way in case he can't stay, it will make him more comfortable at least having seen the environment you and the baby will be in while he runs home.

I think every hospital may be different. You should give the maternity ward a call and ask- while you're at it ask if you can schdule a tour so they can just walk you through the floor and show you the nursey etc... that way in case he can't stay, it will make him more comfortable at least having seen the environment you and the baby will be in while he runs home.

I was going to say this. :) I know that with my first pregnancy the prenatal classes I took did a hospital tour and they let us right in each room and they answered any questions we had. It was very reassuring.

In our hospital you are guaranteed a semi-private room with our healthcare(2 patients, one bathroom) but you can pay an additional fee to have a private room... and in the private room, hubby can stay. Sometimes your room might end up being private anyhow... but sometimes there's a full moon. ;)

I know it's a shame isn't it!!! DH said last night that it'll be awful for him to come home to an empty house and have to sleep on his own knowing that me and his new son are at the hospital!! xx

that upset me a bit too last time so this time my mum is coming to stay, she will make sure the heatings on, the kettle is boiled and theres a plate of food for him, and on the day i bring baby homs she will do the same then too :happydance: love my mum!

another one if you cook stuff all on plates and cover and store in the fridge to be microwaved, then leave little post its everywhere for him and maybe the odd little surprise pressie too, nothing big just small things he will find when he gets home

At 2pm i had kyle, and i think it was 8/9pm he left but i saw him again at 3am outside the hospital because i was to upset and needed to see him, then he was back again at 8am and we went home altogether by 4pm that day..

Im dreading this too as i hate hospitals and the thought of them turfing hubbie out is horrible, for him as well. I am considering a home birth but hubbie is dead against it, i will see how i feel later on tho. If i do go to hospital i want to be out of there asap!!!:wacko:

that upset me a bit too last time so this time my mum is coming to stay, she will make sure the heatings on, the kettle is boiled and theres a plate of food for him, and on the day i bring baby homs she will do the same then too :happydance: love my mum!

another one if you cook stuff all on plates and cover and store in the fridge to be microwaved, then leave little post its everywhere for him and maybe the odd little surprise pressie too, nothing big just small things he will find when he gets home

oooh that is an excellent idea - thank you so much for that!!

my parents will be down from the midlands when I go into labour so they could stay at ours rather than book into an hotel and that way DH won't be alone, I never thought of that so thanks again!! :thumbup:

I feel exactly the same! I'm not scared about giving birth but am absolutely terrified of getting transferred to the ward on my own and hubby getting sent home :cry:
I don't think I'd be as bothered if I had a private room but that's not an option at my hospital.
I really hope everything goes to plan and that they will let me go home before getting transferred to the ward :thumbup:

My OH has said he won't be able to sleep (apparently he was like this at the end of last year when I had to spend one night in hospital), he'll just want to get back to us, but hopefully it'll only be for the one night and then he can bring us home :)

I feel exactly the same! I'm not scared about giving birth but am absolutely terrified of getting transferred to the ward on my own and hubby getting sent home :cry:
I don't think I'd be as bothered if I had a private room but that's not an option at my hospital.
I really hope everything goes to plan and that they will let me go home before getting transferred to the ward :thumbup:

I'm sooo glad i'm not the only one feeling like this!! lets hope we have 8am babies so we can go home the same day!! (all being well!!) :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->