Birth partners - how long are they allowed afterwards?

i was really gutted just as i checked onto the ward everyone else checked out i was all alone boo!

i was really gutted just as i checked onto the ward everyone else checked out i was all alone boo!

oh no!! wasn't there any new mums that joined you?? I thought there was 'one born every minute' lol! joking aside though i'm suffering from ante-natal depression and i really get upset when I think about being alone as a first time mum!! i want my DH to be next to me constantly until I go home :(

So glad this thread is here as I would never have even thought about this or the fact that my husband might not be able to stay with me. Will definitely talk to the hospital about what will happen when we eventually have our tour.

Great info everyone! Xx

When you are moved to the post natal ward your partner will have to leave, so a couple of hours after birth most likely, chances are you wont care though so will be knackered and wanting some rest and chances are so will he so he will go home crash wake up and come back to see you first thing. It would be nice if partners could stay but you can see why its not allowed

I'm in Canada as well and DH stayed with me and my mom stayed another night. Most likely will do the same this time. I can't imagine having to stay there by myself!

I'm in Canada as well and DH stayed with me and my mom stayed another night. Most likely will do the same this time. I can't imagine having to stay there by myself!

I sooooo wish I was in USA now!!! X

Even if baby is born at night, you'll still definitely get some time the 3 of you before you have to go to the ward. x

Depends on what time you arrive at hospital and when baby arrives.

Also will depend on individual hospitals.

When I had Anna 16 months ago at 10.45am OH was with my all the time. OH could stay 9am - 9pm. Yet another hospital on the other side of glasgow fathers could only stay something like 10-2 and 4-8 or something.:flower:

Also tbh its better if they have to go in the night and you can sleep while they are gone rather than having them there and then them NEEDING to go get some rest and your on your own through the day while your awake and bored senseless, when i had my first he was born at 11.47am we were on the ward for 3pm and dh left about 5pm and was back at 8am then we went home at 2ish so it worked out quite well

Reading all these I feel quite lucky to be in Canada. I never got switched rooms. My laboring room was my post birth room. There was a pull out bed for hubby. It was also a private room with my own bathroom and shower, tv and Internet. I didn't pay anything for it either. All the rooms where I delivered are private and free( covered by Alberta health care). Hubby spent the two nights we were there with us. I was very thankful for is seeing as i had a third degree episiotomy with tons of internal and external stitches and could hardly get out of bed e first night. It was so nice to have him there to help with Ava when she woke at night.

This is my 2nd pregnancy.. With my first, from 3am in morning son's dad was with me till they moved me to labour ward (at about 5-5:30am) to have a nap (i couldn't sleep cos the contraction was soo painful to lie down, even no painkillers, only MW gave me paracetamol and sleeping tablets), they were stubborn told him to go home cos it wouldnt be fair to disturb other mothers to be's sleep beauty, even there was just 2 of us and i was the only one in the room staying awake and was clueless whats going on as it was my first time and had very difficult to communiate with MW. An interpreter didn't turn up. I was all alone with contractions, even no gas n air. Then he was born at half 8 in the morning which MW was wrong (she thought born in the afternoon) and i've told her many times that the contraction was really painful... Guess what his dad missed the birth.. he arrived abt 15-20 mins later (blame the taxi driver was late) and walked in while me hold son. He was gutted to have missed the birth but they were all amazed i did well and had no painkillers at all. But it was worth it after all.
As this time i definitely don't want to go thru all like that again and i will have to be firm to say this baby's dad stays with me all thru the labour cos its not fair on us. I've been thinking that if everything goes well after the birth and no stitches or whatever then i go home on the same day. But am living in the different area now and hopefully it'll be different.
Anyway good luck :) x

That's why I am not planning on going to hospital! I really don't want us to be separated after the birth.

x

This time around me and OH are both actually hoping i give birth at night. When i had DD last year she was born at 10.30am and we stayed in the delivery room for about a couple of hours while we had time for skin to skin, first feed, time for me to get cleaned up and changed (with OH's help as i'd had an epidural) etc and then waiting for me to be transferred to the ward. After about half an hour of being up there i sent OH home cos he was absolutely shattered, i was tired and wanted to sleep and LO's tend to sleep for quite a while after they're first born anyway. I managed to get a couple of hours sleep but because it was daytime the ward was really busy and i gave up at about 3pm and sat reading a magazine til DD woke up at about 5 and OH came back at 6. He'd only been gone for 5 hours but because i was sat doing nothing it felt like ages!! He was allowed to stay 9am - 9pm during the day so he was only able to stay for 3 hours and i had to stay in overnight cos i've got strep b.

It would have been much better if i'd had her at night cos we would've still had the time in the delivery room but when he would've had to go home as soon as i went up to the ward, i would've got more sleep at night and he could've come back in the morning and stayed with us all day.

He was desperate for me to have her in the morning last though cos he didn't want to leave us but he soon realised it just wasn't practical to not have any sleep and all he would've been doing was sitting there watching me sleep!

hehe when i had DD i demanded OH came to the ward with me, it was 5am, they said he could stay for half an hour and i just 'hid' him lol! i went to the nurses desk and asked for some paracetomol because i was going to get some sleep, they said they would bring it through in a min, so OH hid in the on ward loo until she came, gave me tablets and closed the curtains for me, he came back and we just sat snuggling on the bed admiring our DD :) it was lovely, by the time they checked on me it was 7:45 and tho we did get a telling off and he was told to go, he was back 15 mins later when visiting times started lol! So if you can get away with doing that then go for it! lol! xxx

at the new maternity ward we have in glouster partners get to stay from the time u have baby till the time you go home :D we already decided that OH will stay the night i have LO then will need to be home to look after our daughter. i will probs be having a c-section so will be in min of 3 days xxx

I'm in the US so DH is allowed to stay. I've been worrying about who will take care of DD while I'm laboring/in the hospital. Our moms live 1 and 2 hours away, and both work full time. We don't have a sitter (I'm a SAHM) or close friends in the area that we can leave her with.

ds1 was born at 2.45 and by the time i was cleaned up and ready to go to my room ( private room as they didnt want to disturb the whole ward yay me lol ) it was after 5am and DH didnt leave till me and baby were practically unconsious with exaustion lol then he was back at 10am to see me after me and baby woke up.

ds2 was born just before 7am and DH stayed till 2 then went and got ds1 to bring him to the hospital to meet his brother . Partners are exempt from visiting hours rules at my hospital/mw unit but they dont like them arriving after 11pm unless your actually in labor

Here husbands/partners can stay the entire time, with you in your room. My husband would have gotten arrested if someone told him he had to leave his newborn son just hours after birth! That would suck!

Wow.. they make your husbands leave??? Like someone else said, I think my husband would probably be in jail if someone tried to make him leave the room :shrug: Why in gods name would they do that?? :nope:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->