Birth Plan. Have I missed anything?

wigglywoo

Pregnant with #2
Reaction score
Hello ladies.

Could you have a look at my first draft birth plan and tell me what you think?

Baby ... will be born at home.

Ambiance
I plan to birth in the living room in a birth pool.
I would like the room to be dimly lit and as quiet as possible. Calm music will be playing quietly in the background.
I want to be free to move around during labour.
Pain relief
I will use yoga breathing techniques and TENS for pain relief.
I do not like gas and air so please do not offer it or any other pain relief. If I need something I will ask for it.
Monitoring
I do not want internal examinations nor for the baby’s heartbeat to be constantly monitored.
Please do not test my blood pressure as I find it stressful.
Delivery
I want to push when I feel the need. No coached pushing please.
I want to birth in a position which I find comfortable.
I will not birth with my feet in the air as if in stirrups.
Baby is to be handed straight to me to put to the breast. DH and I will discover the sex ourselves. Please do not announce.
The cord is to remain intact and not be clamped and cut until it has stopped pulsating. DH will cut the cord.
Please wait to weigh and measure until we are ready.
3rd Stage
I want a natural third stage. Please do not offer anything to speed things up.
I would like to look at the placenta following delivery.
Baby is to be given oral vitamin K.
Emergency transfer to hospital
Should it be necessary to transfer to hospital in an emergency. DH is to remain with me at all times and this birth plan should be adhered to as far as possible.
The baby is not to be taken from me unless absolutely necessary in which case, DH is to remain with him/her at all times.
DO NOT give artificial feed to the baby UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. The baby is to have breast milk ONLY.

Have I missed any considerations :shrug:

wow! i haven't begun to put together what i want in my birth plan, but i wanted to say, for what it's worth, i think yours looks great (coming from someone who is new to all of this)!

It looks good to me :flower: Do you have any thoughts about what you want to happen if you go overdue? Just thinking it might help to put it on there so when the midwives read your plan at about 38/39 weeks they'll know whether you're ok with induction or you want to be monitored instead.

Also what about students present? Snacks, drinks etc?

Think that's about all :thumbup:

xx

It looks good to me :flower: Do you have any thoughts about what you want to happen if you go overdue? Just thinking it might help to put it on there so when the midwives read your plan at about 38/39 weeks they'll know whether you're ok with induction or you want to be monitored instead.

Also what about students present? Snacks, drinks etc?

Think that's about all :thumbup:

xx

Thanks. Great ideas! I'll add them in :thumbup:

In event of transfer do you mind how you strapped to the trolley in the ambulance?

My advice having been in an ambulance twice now (ergh) do not let them strap you on your back. Being on your side is bad enough but on your back must be horrible!

What about ARM? Artificial rupture of your waters, I'm definitely not agreeing to that this time, one of the biggest mistakes I made with my first labour, I'm sure it brought baby down too fast and in a really awkward position.

Can I refuse to be strapped in the ambulance? Can I just sit? I hate feeling like I'm trapped as it makes me panic.

Can I refuse to be strapped in the ambulance? Can I just sit? I hate feeling like I'm trapped as it makes me panic.

Hmmm uncertain but in both my transfers there would have been no where for me to sit except on the trolley and I'm certain there's probably some policy stating you have to be strapped to it! <facepalm>

I wasnt strapped in really tightly but both times I wouldnt have wanted to be sitting, the back of an ambulance is not very stable - it rocks around like crazy and if theyre going at speed its awful and if you're in labour you will be uncomfortable and adding to that discomfort by trying to stay safe an upright whilst on what amounts to a rollercoaster i wouldnt recommend.

lay down stay safe just stay off your back.

I sat in the ambulance. I said to the paramedics "please don't make me lie down its too painful" and they were fine with it. It did mean I was jiggled around a bit though and my waters leaked all over the seat!

Thats cool just ask to sit lie hyow you want.

Not a hope in hell I was gona sit! they made me walk to the ambulance and climb t he steps i was not pleased lol.

TBH sitting wasn't great at all but was definitely the lesser of two evils!

Hello ladies.

Could you have a look at my first draft birth plan and tell me what you think?

Baby ... will be born at home.

Ambiance
I plan to birth in the living room in a birth pool.
I would like the room to be dimly lit and as quiet as possible. Calm music will be playing quietly in the background.
I want to be free to move around during labour.
Pain relief
I will use yoga breathing techniques and TENS for pain relief.
I do not like gas and air so please do not offer it or any other pain relief. If I need something I will ask for it.
Monitoring
I do not want internal examinations nor for the baby’s heartbeat to be constantly monitored.
Please do not test my blood pressure as I find it stressful.
Delivery
I want to push when I feel the need. No coached pushing please.
I want to birth in a position which I find comfortable.
I will not birth with my feet in the air as if in stirrups.
Baby is to be handed straight to me to put to the breast. DH and I will discover the sex ourselves. Please do not announce.
The cord is to remain intact and not be clamped and cut until it has stopped pulsating. DH will cut the cord.
Please wait to weigh and measure until we are ready.
3rd Stage
I want a natural third stage. Please do not offer anything to speed things up.
I would like to look at the placenta following delivery.
Baby is to be given oral vitamin K.
Emergency transfer to hospital
Should it be necessary to transfer to hospital in an emergency. DH is to remain with me at all times and this birth plan should be adhered to as far as possible.
The baby is not to be taken from me unless absolutely necessary in which case, DH is to remain with him/her at all times.
DO NOT give artificial feed to the baby UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. The baby is to have breast milk ONLY.

Have I missed any considerations :shrug:

I think you've covered everything, but - don't hate me! - I reckon it might be too wordy. Cut out all redundant info.... The shorter and simple it is, the more likely the MWs will actually pay proper attention to it.

You're having a homebirth, you don't have to tell them the room will be dimly lit or you'll be playing music. Your house: just do what you want! You also do not need to tell them you're using yoga and TENS. Just do it! Just one line - "Do not offer pain medication - I will ask if I want it" is enough IMO.

At home, you would not be constantly monitored anyway. This line is redundant, IMO. Maybe they would want to do that in the event of a transfer, but those circumstances would likely be very different to a HB anyway.

I've drawn up a seperate plan in case of transfer - just a few lines about the things most important to me.

Thanks! I tried to keep it short and to the point as I have read some REALLY wordy plans and didn't think midwives would bother reading them. I'll cut out the bits you suggest :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->